Question Undersea Habitat book recommendations? (Tektite/Sealab/Conshelf)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scooba_kev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm interested in reading about the history of undersea habitats and how they worked operationally. Can't seem to find much. Any recommendations? I'm particularly interested in reading about the Tektite project but I'm open to books about any other habs.

It is a big, broad question that you asked. As a starter you can look here.

I have a copy of this book. It is very good. It has a lot of good information. You may be able to find a used copy at a more reasonable price.

I also met the author Ian Koblick in Key Largo at the Jules' Undersea Lodge and I briefly met him 50 years ago when the same habitat was in Puerto Rico and it was named La Chalupa research laboratory.

Living and Working in the Sea Hardcover – December 1, 1995
by James W. Miller (Author), Ian G. Koblick (Author)

I have a copy of this book. It is very good. It has a lot of good information. You may be able to find a used copy at a more reasonable price.

I also met the author Ian Koblick in Key Largo at the Jules' Undersea Lodge and I briefly met him 50 years ago when the same habitat was in Puerto Rico and it was named La Chalupa research laboratory.

Thanks, this is exactly the type of book I'm looking for. Now just need to find a copy somewhere!

Very cool book. I have a copy kicking around here somewhere that I read years ago. A very fun and interesting rabbit hole to go down.

Wow.

It appears to be available in the used marked... starting at $150 and there are many copies in the $400 to $500... :oops:

Maybe I should sell mine at a profit... I don't think so...

You may also be interested in World Without Sun by Jacques Yves. Cousteau. There is also a movie by the same name. It covers the 1963 Conshelf II saturation diving experiment in the Red Sea.
Yeah that's actually what got me interested in reading more about the habs. It's a great film.

starting at $150 and there are many copies in the $400 to $500
Was this perchance on eBay?

I wouldn't trust eBay sellers anymore. Recently, I was in Target looking at a specific item of furniture. Then I did a price comparison online. Sellers on eBay were listing the same type of furniture, used, for as much or more as the brand new one at Target. Now, that could make sense if the ones on eBay were higher quality; but no, same particle board crap. Yeah, there's this thing called depreciation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom