Underwater Sounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shore dive off Maui. We floated in mid water for a while listening to whale sounds.

Some of the members of the drum family make a croaking sound. Heard several of them yesterday during an inshore dive.

Grunts (the fish), buzzing props of small boats, stupid tank bangers.....

Had a somewhat frightening experience once when a cruise ship left port during a night dive off the divi dock in bonaire. The prop noise was incredibly loud and easily felt by your body. We did expect it to crash into us at any moment.

I now understand how ship movement can affect fish behavior as the cruise ship was no where near us but the sound was almost deafening.

A few earthquakes in Vanuatu, a volcano erupting (Rabaul in PNG), thunder from a lightning storm, humpback whales singing every winter in Sydney, dolphins a few days ago (also in Sydney) and all the normal boat, ship and fish noises.

Last edited:
Critters crunching on Coral in Thailand and the dive boats overhead in Thailand.

Doing some pool skills work I heard an odd sound a couple times. Then the third time while watching a lady work on hovering, I heard the sound then saw the bubbles escape her shorts. I guess she thought no one would notice if she ripped a few.

One of those subs was driving us crazy in Moorea, so my dive buddy mooned it. Never seen one of those things move so fast. It never came near us again, either. :)

LOL, your buddy is braver than I would be! Nah, I hammed it up and waved at them :p

LOL, your buddy is braver than I would be! Nah, I hammed it up and waved at them :p

The really funny part about it is that we were on a cruise ship and some of the people on the sub knew us! Plus, when we got back ashore, the dive shop owner (who was our guide) high-fived my buddy. He said the subs were obnoxius all the the time, but he couldn't get away with doing something like that.

Back
Top Bottom