Underwater Sounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
It was a quiet day at Windy Point Scuba Park in Lake Travis. All of the classes had packed up and gone home so I had the pool all to myself for a solo dive.

I was a little bored so I decided to fill up some air pockets in a grotto. I then came above the grotto to see the air bubbles finding their way through the rock. No one was around to complain about the vis so I decided to sweep the muck away down to the solid rock to see where the cracks that the bubbles were coming from.

That is when they started making this really loud and slightly high pitched, eerie sound. It was unlike anything I'd ever heard. If I let me imagine run wild it sounded like some poor soul was in torment.

What unusual sounds have you heard underwater?

An earthquake, Parrot fish crunching coral into sand, snapping crustaceans, loud popping sounds that I am told are the reef plates shifting, large cetaceans calling, while on CCR, I'm pretty sure I heard my buddy fart.

When coaching a diver, if they hear a boat, I want them to stop and look up. Most of the time you can't find the boat, but it reinforces the concepts of u/w sounds.

Hearing is the first sense every diver loses, and the last they re-acquire.

A whooshing like winds over the frozen tundra. Deep, moaning sounds I assumed were whales or other cetaceans.

The main reason I think I would want to take a re-breather class is so I can hear more underwater.

The strangest thing I've hear underwater was a pulsating humming noise when I was diving a reef in Guam. I couldn't figure it out. My buddy didn't hear it, but I did. I looked for a boat because it kind of sounded like a boat, but not really it wasn't the right pitch. It was driving me crazy trying to figure it out. I knew it wasn't in my ears either because I was also able to feel it in my chest too. Then, we crested the reef to see the other side and there it was... one of those tourist subs! I think there is a picture of me and my buddy in a lot of tourist photo albums now because they went nuts taking pictures of us, lol.

It was just something I never expected.

The sound of a 1st stage o-ring blowing.. thats pretty nasty :p

The only thing I've ever heard is boats and that happens in the States. Don't think I've ever heard anything in Nova Scotia. I know most of the fish are gone, at least the Cod are.

The only thing I've ever heard is boats and that happens in the States. Don't think I've ever heard anything in Nova Scotia. I know most of the fish are gone, at least the Cod are.
Well, the cod is too lazy to make any sound anyways I think :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom