Underwater videography -- What a challenge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I found the biggest thing for the taping was being able to be still. The same thing I've been working on for a while, and more so since my experiences in the cave, comes in handy for filming, too. What was really a challenge was trying to keep the camera still while back kicking!

Ben_ca:
You mean like frog kicks and keeping in a prone position?
:D
Not exactly...if I need frog kicks to keep steady while vertical then my bouyancy control needs serious help. Frog kicks (or breaststroke kick for those swimmers out there) works very well for slow steady progress, especially where bottom silt is a factor. But when you need to move quick and steady or need to manuver around something, you can kick with your knees together and just use the lower leg. It hard to describe but it really does work...if I can find some footage then I will post it.
Ok off the soap box
SDVW

..and not getting your fintips in the shot!!

When I first read this, I read "fingertips" and thought, "He's SEEN my footage!"

Then I had to think hard to figure out how I'd get my fintips in the image, and finally decided that I'd have to be sort of leaning back from a vertical position and kicking with my fins out in front of me. That WOULD send you backwards, I suppose.

It's an interesting question, how much you are willing to distort your normal diving technique to get good footage. I have a phenomenally skilled tech diving friend who cheerfully kneels in the bottom to get good, steady footage, and says she does what it takes.

In our open water classes I will occasionally stand hunched over in the shallow end while the students are hovering next to the wall so that I can get good, steady video. Without doing that it's occasionally difficult to get a good angle when you have 12-15 students against a wall and you only want 1 or 2 people in the shot (and they're new divers so they're not spectacular...thus the move around a lot and bump into things...).
At that point, getting good video for the students to watch and critique themselves is much more important than me practicing my buoyancy and trim in shallow water.

TSandM:
If I'd gone vertical to film during a Fundies class, I think the instructor would have had a stroke . . .
Whats wrong with vertical?

Well, since we were generally in around ten feet of water, going vertical would have blasted all my fin output directly into the fine silt on the bottom, rendering the viz even worse than it was :)

TSandM:
Well, since we were generally in around ten feet of water, going vertical would have blasted all my fin output directly into the fine silt on the bottom, rendering the viz even worse than it was :)
For that then you are excused. :wink:

But being 100% in horizontal trim at the best of times is shortsighted (and misleading), and with video it is not always the best position.

I videoed some newly TDI deco proc students being put through the equivalent of a combined Fundies Dive 3-4.

When they lost it during an air share, I had to go vertical to follow them to the surface.

Anything for the shot. :wink:

TSandM:
It's an interesting question, how much you are willing to distort your normal diving technique to get good footage. I have a phenomenally skilled tech diving friend who cheerfully kneels in the bottom to get good, steady footage, and says she does what it takes.

I look at it as being versatile and adjusting my technique, positions, etc. to meet the goal of the dive, while remaining safe and not damaging anything.

The goal can be many things:

being an example for other divers
teaching other divers
getting good footage
enjoying myself

Filming a tech diving fundamentals class can contradict what is being taught. Maybe you could use recreational gear and tell the students that you are there just to film not to be an example or teach.

TS&M, we must be linked telepathically. I too put the new underwater videocam into the water this weekend for the first time. I know understand why video greats like Wes Skiles, kneel, or assume very knees down positioning.

It was essentially impossible to film, while hovering, in trim, in 4ft of water. Just wasn't happening for me. The camera is slightly negative which didn't help. Slightly positive would have been far better.

I might try again at 20-30ft and see if it gets any better, but I just don't think I'm good enough in the water yet to make it work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom