Underwater videography -- What a challenge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's an interesting comment, ronrosa.

One of the bittersweet things about filming this class was that I have a vivid memory of the woman who did the videography for my Fundies class. I remember watching her, hanging motionless and horizontal in the water, not moving a fintip, and thinking how amazing that was to see. She was definitely a role model for me, whether she knew it or not. I think that's actually an important thing that the video person in the class can do for the students. (It's bittersweet because here I had MY chance to be that impressive "hanging in the water" person, and I was filming three people I couldn't impress if my life depended on it :) ).

ronrosa:
Filming a tech diving fundamentals class can contradict what is being taught. Maybe you could use recreational gear and tell the students that you are there just to film not to be an example or teach.
They are so task loaded they really don't have time to notice the video person most of the time. When they do...its usually because they have %^^%$^ up and they look around and see a video guy with a camera in their face wearing a big grin.

I think I hated the video guys more than the blue glove.

Perrone, the guy was doing the "real" videotaping for this class (with a full video camera/housing setup) has sections of PVC pipe attached to his housing to render it slightly positive. He was able to film in perfect trim. That might be the key.

Jeff, I got to watch my video person while I was waiting for my buddies to come back down after corking . . .

TSandM:
Perrone, the guy was doing the "real" videotaping for this class (with a full video camera/housing setup) has sections of PVC pipe attached to his housing to render it slightly positive. He was able to film in perfect trim. That might be the key.
It tough to see,

but here

mid_DSC02181.jpg

I have Amphibico Housing with two 24W halcyon lights.

On the bottom of the housing is a PVC pipe that counteracts the weight of the two battery packs running the lights.

My fundies video guy was the WKPP video guy. He caught everything. (bas****)

Horizontal or vertical position for shooting video is a personal preference. Horizontal is fine for me except when I am using zoom for macro video. Macro video is tough, any shake is magnified 10x. I imagine filming a class would call for wide angle.

Housing neutral, slightly positive or slightly negative is also a personal preference.

When shallow, I've kneeled, layed in the sand and even taken my fins off.

Wow, Jeff, what a setup! I have profound respect for those of you who can dive and photograph with big DSLR camera rigs, or video setups like that. My P&S is enough stress at present!

I have been thinking about getting into underwater video. I know lots of photographers, but I find the underwater behavior to be very interesting, so video it is.

Anyway, I had borrowed a camera rig from a friend for a recent trip (Sony TRV22 & L&M Top Dawg housing if anyone is interested) and wanted to take to the pool for some practice before the trip, since I'd never used a video camera before.

A friend who is thinking about GUE Tech 1 called and wanted to go to the pool to practice skills. "Great", I thought, "It'll give me something to shoot."

So he shows up with his teammate "J", whom I hadn't met before. They work on donning their rigs while I am putting the camera setup together and getting my own scuba rig ready. Sometime during the process I hear "J" mention something about an IMAX camera, but it didn't consciously register at the time. My attention was focused on my camera setup.

We go into the water and descend. They are practicing skills, and I am shooting them, drain gratings and the like. I forward kick and track leaves on the bottom as I go by. I back kick and try to keep steady on the same fixture on the wall. I shoot their skills. I set some leaves floating mid-water and work on various perspectives of them.

(In reviewing the footage later, I find that I have a rock-steady back-kick while tracking an object. Better than my front-kick in fact.)

During a 'debrief rest' at the surface "J" mentioned that I should try to brace myself more instead of trying to keep perfect trim. He mentioned that you secure yourself any way possible for the shot, even if it requires overweighting a bit and settling to the bottom.

A few days after the session, I was talking to my friend. They wanted to get copies of what I shot so they could see how their skills went. In remembering the advice I got from "J" I asked if he has some experience doing video. I found out he was an award winning cinematographer who, in the week following the pool session, was going on an expedition with an IMAX camera. Yikes!! :11:

I made the copy for them, but to be honest I didn't want this guy seeing my first-ever amateurish camera work. :no

I'm still wondering if I want to get into video. It all comes down to whether I have the patience to edit. I've been back two weeks from my trip and I have to admit I haven't started yet. :shakehead

Man, do I feel that pain.

Editing is your friend. I condensed my 1hr of utter crap video footage down to about 4 minutes of something that might possibly help someone understand their trim better in class.

What are you using to edit? I edit video just about every week so I get lots of practice at it and can work rather quickly. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Much like anything else. I wish this underwater video filming was easier though!

JeffG:
For that then you are excused. :wink:

But being 100% in horizontal trim at the best of times is shortsighted (and misleading), and with video it is not always the best position.

I videoed some newly TDI deco proc students being put through the equivalent of a combined Fundies Dive 3-4.

When they lost it during an air share, I had to go vertical to follow them to the surface.

Anything for the shot. :wink:

I'm amazed by your level of personal sacrifice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom