Upgrading to DSLR - 600D, 60D or 7D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe Backscatter will install the Inon Viewfinder to the Ikelite Housing.

dhass quick question Will the Kenko 1.4 TC for the Tokina 10-17 work with the Ikelite 6" dome.

I believe Backscatter will install the Inon Viewfinder to the Ikelite Housing.

dhass quick question Will the Kenko 1.4 TC for the Tokina 10-17 work with the Ikelite 6" dome.

Doubler,

YES, the Tokina 1-17mm and Kenko 1.4X teleconverter will fit in a slightly longer Ikelite 6" Dome Port.

Had one guy who got one and uses it more then his Tokina 10-17mm alone now!

Email me through my contact page if you want pricing. Happy to help :)

David Haas
David Haas Underwater Photography

If you are mostly shooting macro and small stuff, I would go with the T2i and get the Tamron 60 macro lens and a 1.4 teleconverter. You can use the flat port and not worry right now about the Tokina 10-17 and the dome ports that go with it. I would have said go with the Canon 60 macro lens but you can't use a 1.4 tele with it (without an extension tube) and the Tamron is quite sharp if a little slower to focus than the Canon version. As for housings both the Ikelite and the S&S are fine housings, but I think the port system for the S&S is a bit nicer in my hands. Strobe wise, for macro I like the Inon S2000 (very small and very light for traveling) but for wide angle they are mostly useless.

Have fun and show us some pics.

Bill

I'd go for a Nikon D7000. It's a great camera at a fantastic price for what you get.

Besides the fact that he doesn't want to shoot Nikon, Nikon's video is light years behind Canon's. Considering the cameras he has selected he clearly wants video, so why in the hell would he want a Nikon?

:wink:

Has anybody tried attaching that delux nauticam viewfinder to the Ike housing - I shoot a lot of shots very low on the bottom and viewfinder at 45' angle will save a lot of neck cramps.
Regards
drcolyn

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 45 degree finder. Maybe it's just me and perhaps I've been shooting too long with a straight through finder, but I just could not get used to using the finder. For wide angle, it wasn't too bad, but for macro it was driving me crazy trying to frame my shots.

Hi All
Thanks again for the replies - I had a look at the Sea&Sea RDX-550D housing and for less than
R2000 I get the optical trigger in the housing as I wanted as well as acess to the whole range of Sea&Sea lens ports.
The only negative I did see with the RDX polycarbonate housing is the fact that ISO setting is not adjustable according to the S&S website. Is it enough of a negative to rather go for an Ike housing with manual strobe control?

Changing ISO underwater becomes important when shooting video. For photos you will generally keep the camera on base ISO so its really less of an issue for stills.

Also, to chime in on optical vs. electronic strobe trigger, for what its worth, the only downside I see to the electronic trigger on the Ike bulkhead, besides for not being able to handle TTL with a non-Ike strobe, is that the electronic sync cord is a little more expensive. But the reality is that many great u/w photographers use manual strobe control anyway so the TTL issue becomes moot.

I shoot S&S YS strobes with an Ike housing and Ike to S&S sync cord and get reliable results.

Hi All
Thanks again for the replies - I had a look at the Sea&Sea RDX-550D housing and for less than
R2000 I get the optical trigger in the housing as I wanted as well as acess to the whole range of Sea&Sea lens ports.
The only negative I did see with the RDX polycarbonate housing is the fact that ISO setting is not adjustable according to the S&S website. Is it enough of a negative to rather go for an Ike housing with manual strobe control?
Changing ISO during a dive to me is not worth going the Ike route. Optical triggering of strobes is clearly the future, you can get TTL or manual with that setup. If you are going to do lots of video, then get a good video light (Sola 1200 or similar) and you won't need to move ISO while shooting.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom