Upgrading to DSLR - 600D, 60D or 7D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All
Thanks for all the advice - I have peace about my choice now.
Seeing a recent ad in local classifieds was scary.
The person is trying to sell a 2003 model 6 megapixel Canon dsrl with Aluminum Sea&Sea housing and all the accessories you can dream of for R17 000 (US $2 400). Although there is more to the camera than the pixel count 6mp is associated with cellphones these days.
Regards

I've had Ikelite housings with three versions of Rebels - 300D, 400D, and now the 550D. I don't know anything about the two different control knobs for the fancier Canons, but I know that I *love* the new "Q" button on the back of the 550D (T2i). It allows very easy changing of any setting that I might want to change - even under water.

I've grown accustomed to my heavy Ikelite strobes and love the rapid re-charging (or whatever you call it) - one second vs. the nine or so I had with my old SB 103 and Nikonos V.

I recently tested out diopters with my 60mm macro lens (a cheap set from Zeikos). I tried combos on three different dives that resulted in +4, +7, and then finally +6. (I've never tried teleconverters). These fit just fine in my flat port. Most all of the stuff that I shoot at the Blue Heron Bridge allows close enough approach that the diopters worked out just fine. Trying to get a young, five or six inch batfish's face was a problem with the +7. +4 added enough magnification, yet left enough distance to get most small fishies, that I'll likely make that my standard setup for the bridge - at least for a while. :D

Kevin

Hi All
Since I have to swop the live view for the view finder - do you agree that the brighter 60D is worth the price difference?
I personally love nice big viewfinders (and big camera bodies that fill the hand). I'd buy medium format, if I had a small fortune sitting around.

Since I will have a dslr now where the aperture changes really makes a difference the 2 dials on the 60D seems a plus?
This depends on your style. Myself, I normally set an aperture then use Av with -1 to 2 stops exposure correction and eTTL strobes with exposure correction. When on land I do prefer both wheels, but underwater I'm less likely to use both.

The only gripe I have with the Ike housing is the loss of optical trigger for the STTL function on my Inon Z240 & YS01 strobe. I cannot believe that all the Ikelite users out there use only Ikelite strobes?
I came up with some ideas for ways to get around this this a while ago, but I was too busy. Thanks for reminding me. I may post a DIY project to accomplish this in a few weeks.

More to the point I'll mention the biggest negative I experience for the Ikelite wired strobes. I have a dual strobe connector which works great for two strobes. Right now I have one strobe out of commission ( battery sent in for a repair). Since I can't use both my strobes and I don't own a single strobe connector, I'l left without any strobes. That is I would flood the unused connector If I were to try and connect a single strobe.

... my strobe positioning that will probably not make that much of a difference as I experienced with the YS01. It kept underexposing on ETTL setting so I went to manual and quite like the predictable constant power...
drcolyn

It won't keep power consistent , but the buttons on the back of the Ikelite case allow you to make a flash exposure compensation, so if you feel you are often getting too much power, you just turn it down a little.

Hi All
Seeing a recent ad in local classifieds was scary.
The person is trying to sell a 2003 model 6 megapixel Canon dsrl with Aluminum Sea&Sea housing and all the accessories you can dream of for R17 000 (US $2 400). ...
Regards

That's more than I spent on my 5D + Ikelite. I think my Rebel XT (6mp, no housing) was about a tenth of that when I bought it used 4 years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom