USD environment chamber silicone fluid (Conshelf series regs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrians

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am wondering if the plumber friendly polypropalene glycol antifreeze can be used as a substitute?
I have not been able to locate a silicone based fluid that is food friendly. The closest thing id silicone disk brake fluid and I'm not ready to go thereyet!

I have not been able to locate a silicone based fluid that is food friendly. The closest thing id silicone disk brake fluid and I'm not ready to go thereyet!

You plan on drinking it or using it as salad dressing. If it gets from the enviromental chamber to the breathing air side you have much worse problems than it not being food grade.

my challenge is I can't find the right stuff so I am looking at substitutes.
Not sure I want to drink it but at least the poly stuff isn't toxic like the ethylene flavour is

The US Divers Conshelf XIV Supreme, Royal Navy version uses Dow Corning Silicone oil Type DC200 at 100 centistokes. Cost in UK England is Ž£14 per Kilo (I guess around $9 per lb to you lot) it's made in the USA so shouldnt be too difficult to find. I wrote the manufacture inspection and test procedure MITP for that valve. Its ancient history now but I could look it up, but pretty sure it was Dow Corning. Iain.

...a while back I had a silicone-fliud-filled environmental kit installed on a Mares RUBY reg.....so it's likely you can obtain the needed fluid from a Mares dealer.

my challenge is I can't find the right stuff so I am looking at substitutes.
Not sure I want to drink it but at least the poly stuff isn't toxic like the ethylene flavour is

You are confusing silicone brake fluid (DOT-5) which is pretty much pure silicone with DOT 3&4 which is glycol ether and polyalkylene glycol, the kind that eats up paint.

http://www.hdamerica.com/members/msds_sheets/new_msds/affinia_msds/CHEM-SBF-1.pdf

Use mineral oil instead.

I buy it from the local Walgreen's. It is edible, biodegradable- mostly, fix you when you are sick, and won't freeze, at least it won't under all the dive conditions I have found so far. :D

Been using it on all the Conshelfs we have serviced for as long as I can remember.

I still have a bottle of the USD oil someone wanted to buy, but never followed up on.

Back
Top Bottom