USD environment chamber silicone fluid (Conshelf series regs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't there a "dry" environmental kit available for the Conshelf XIV? That would make life much easier. I've got a Conshelf Supreme that needs to get its service, and I'm wondering if the LDS could get one to replace the "wet" kit.

You can easily convert the Supreme to a regular non-environmentaly sealed Conshelf 14 by uncrewing the cap and seal on the end of the first stage and replacing it with the Conshelf 14 part. Sorry I don't have the part nos. I have taken 14's and turned them into Supremes by adding the cold water kit. I bet someone on the board would swap you even for your kit.

The part number for the dry environmental kit is 100525. It is the same kit as for the Titan and several other Aqua Lung regulators. I can't remember the price, but any Aqua Lung dealer can get it for you.

As mentioned, I use environmentally sealed Conshelf first stages for alternate regulator on my tech rig and for stage or pony bottle, etc. IMHO they are some of the most reliable first stages ever made.

If you don't need the environmental sealed first stage (in Georgia you may not need it), you can just remove the outer ring and outer diaphragm (Item 38 and 39 in the diagram below).

Conshelf.jpg

Ok.... Why not use a astroglide silicone or similar product in the conshelf XIV first stage.... Looking for a food grade silicone is not looking good, then I started think about personally lubes that are ( don't laugh ) rubber friendly and safe to ingest... Easy to find and safe for the air supply.... And handy to have after a day of diving with the wife...:wink:... Sorry I had too....

jim

Just a guess, but since its water-based, I guess the freezing point is just about the same as water and probably negates the effectivity of the environmental seal... Interesting option though, as it makes for a great SI! :D

Not all of them are water based... Looking at a few different bottles they are .... 1: k-y intrigue dimethicone, dimethiconol
2: k-y touch propylene glycol, polyethylene glycol, lactic acid, hydroxypropylcellulose 3: Astroglide X cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane 4: Astroglide purified water, glycrin, propylene glycol,polyquaternium 15, methylparaben, propylparaben.... I think I'll do some temperature testing in the freezer... Will share the results as to viscosity change and temp....

Jim....

Sounds like a cool experiment... might raise a few eyebrows though at the pharmacy when you step out with all that lube :eyebrow:

Did you read the MSDS sheet. Two of the three ingredients are listed as non hazardous and the third which is only 3% is mildly hazardous. You are exposed to more hazardous material fueling you car. I would pretty much expect to see the same if it was a MSDS for water.

HSE Group - Water MSDS
Captain,

I don't think anyone got your joke in putting up this MSDS. I just read this thread today, and think it is hilarious, but then again I am a safety professional and industrial hygienist too.

Personally, I won't let any silicone touch my gear unless it is food-quality. And I won't use any ethylene glycol or propylene glycol as these can be respiratory hazards. Also, the family of glycol ethers are mutagens.

Implications of IBM Study on Miscarriages : Workplace: The two chemicals involved have a wide range of uses. But computer companies are downplaying the significance of the report. - Los Angeles Times

SeaRat

SeaRat

So this is what I came up with... after putting a 1/4oz sample in a plastic shot glass and placing the marked samples in a freezer over night... The temperature in the freezer was -9 degrees Fahrenheit... I only tested the first 3 and passed on the plain astroglide as water is it's main ingredient... The viscosity of the k-y touch was more jelly like at room temperature and did tend to separate in to two parts in the freezer... One part more watery and the other like a jelly fish body... I find this is not a good one to test in a conshelf.. The astroglide X and k-y intrigue both had no real change in viscosity at the lower temp and freely flowed from the shot glass....

Both the astroglide X and the K-Y intrigue are just a two part mix of silicone based chemicals and the other is a mix of many different things... The only thing that I did note was a very small opaque crystal like structure in both samples that dissolved back in at about 28 degrees .... I wonder if that was water vapor from the freezer and not part of the lube... I have placed some o-rings into shot glasses with the lube to test the effects on them... After the o-ring test I'll service my wife's conshelf supreme with the K-Y and mine with the astroglide X and see how they do....

Jim....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom