Use a Computer or BT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is finally time for me to purchase a new dive computer. My old trusty Suunto Solution Nitrox just died 2 days ago.

The local dive shop (I'm from Southern New Hampshire) is recommending either one by LiquiVision, or the Uwatec Galileo. Has anyone had any experience with either of these either positive or negative?

Thanks,
Carl

I think your local shop is recommending what they sell. Any real discussion about multi-gas deco computers that doesn't include Liquivision and Shearwater is misleading.

FWIW I would go with Shearwater but then I've been using their product since the Pursuit with nothing but good things to say.

Unless you must have Liquivision's new ultrasonic tech in the Lynx (which isn't a trimix computer anyway) or you need the extreme depth rating of the potted X1 (and want to accept the service difficulties inherent in that design), there's no reason to put up with Liquivision's legendarily poor customer service/support, Eric Fattah's attitude, the annoying (to me, anyway, others love it) tap interface, or Liquivision's lousy battery options.

I will not discuss any SP/Uwatec dinosaurs in the same post as actual tech computers. It still boggles my mind that people are shelling out more for a Galelio Luna than they'd pay for a Petrel, when realistically one is an old Ti-83 graphing calculator and the other is a Macbook Air. Anyone who buys a Sol should be examined by a mental health professional...IMHO.

Get a SW Petrel and go dive. Anything ever goes wrong with it, call SW and they'll make it right. Love my Predator, Petrels, and support I've received from SW. No games, no 'go talk to your LDS/dealer,' just 'what's the problem and how can we best fix it for you?'

So in summary, the unit came back from "repair" and the faulty sensor is still swinging around.

The solution I was given : lock out the faulty sensor. I'm not sure what purpose there was in the "repair" therefore...

The X1 has a one year warranty, and is clearly not repairable. The Shearwater has a 2 year warranty (and even that can stretch, based on their focus on customer service), and their unit IS repairable. Quite a cost difference too (especially when firmware is taken into account as well).

Such a shame...

If you're interested in ever using it for trimix, either the Petrel or the Liquivision Xeo. Between the two, you can choose from Buhlmann GF, VPM, or a full implementation of RGBM on the Veo. I like the Liquivison OLED, but prefer the button interface on the Petrel. I'm not sure what you mean by "sister" versions.

(FWIW, while the Shearwater service is legendary, I've never had a problem with dealing with Liquivision.)

Last edited:
My approach is to plan the dive, cut tables, and then dive within the plan using the realtime profile created by the computers. If they keep working, they'll give me a deco schedule that fits the less demanding dive actually conducted; if they fail, I can fall back on the cut tables/timer/depth gauge I brought secure in the knowledge that they're "set" for the maximum limits I planned for that dive.

That is exactly what I do.

I plan using Ideco pro (gradient factor) on my Iphone and I dive using my X1 computer (VPM +5)

Short answer: BT/computers in gauge mode (same thing really) are great for square profile dives; technical computers, where you can vary the parameters yourself, are great for non-square proflile dives. Same as using tables vs a computer for rec dives.

And when doing a tech dive, make sure everyone gets back on the boat!! Ha, ha, ha.
:eyebrow:

That is exactly what I do.

I plan using Ideco pro (gradient factor) on my Iphone and I dive using my X1 computer (VPM +5)

Why not plan using the same algorithm you dive with? Either use MultlDeco or Baltic Deco on your computer to plan with VPM, or use MultiDeco on your X1 for Buhlmann.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom