Used AL80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For LP72 tanks out of hydro, make sure you look inside to check for a liner and the state of rust. I pay max $20 for an LP72 in good condition.

check for LP72's, much much better tanks than AL80's where you are. Total rig weight with them is about 10lbs lighter than an AL80 and they hold the same amount of gas. You can usually find them quite cheap
Scuba Tank
$60 for that, add another $40 for a brand new valve if you dive DIN, and about the same for hydro/vip/fill and voila. $150 you have a lp72 that works well.

that said, if you were charged $250-$300, even cad for an AL80 you got ripped off.... We can get them all day every day for $200cad/$150usd

A brand-new AL 80 can be had for $ 180.00 (US) @ Scubatoys.

Two of my old aluminum 80s are made from the AL6351 so they are good for holding open the storage shed doors when it's windy and that's about it. My other 80 needs to get an additional test (some kind of x-ray, I think) which adds more $$$ to the hydro test so to me it's not worth getting hydroed again, especially when I can get a used steel 72 and get it hydroed for about the same amount of $$$. Unless something dramatic changes I'm through buying aluminum tanks.

I'm not sure what test you're talking about here. My local hydro place has been telling me that all AL breathing gas tanks need the visual eddy test, which costs an additional $3. That comes to 60 cents/year added cost. So that's not worth worrying about. Other than the VE test I don't know what your shop could be talking about.

It is true that LP72s are more fun to dive with and are usually less expensive. But, in order to get more than 63 cft, they need the plus rating or a shop that will fill them beyond the 2250 basic (no plus rated) service pressure. Some shops are good about giving you a nice 2500 fill on those tanks, others not so much.

My understanding is that only 6351 tanks need regular eddy tests.

So do you think he was lying to you or just didn't know what he was talking about?

I don't know. This place is the least odious in town, so I put up with the $3 charge. The guy said they got some notice from the DOT that all breathing gas AL tanks need it, but I've heard so much crap from hydro places that I'm numb to it. Thank god it's only every 5 years.

I don't know. This place is the least odious in town, so I put up with the $3 charge. The guy said they got some notice from the DOT that all breathing gas AL tanks need it, but I've heard so much crap from hydro places that I'm numb to it. Thank god it's only every 5 years.

Do you really think an LDS won't see the requalification Be stamp and realize they must also charge you for a Be during VIS?

Read this:.
49 CFR Appendix C to Part 180, Eddy Current Examination With Visual Inspection for DOT 3AL Cylinders Manufactured of Aluminum Alloy 6351-T6

I'm not sure what test you're talking about here. My local hydro place has been telling me that all AL breathing gas tanks need the visual eddy test, which costs an additional $3. That comes to 60 cents/year added cost. So that's not worth worrying about. Other than the VE test I don't know what your shop could be talking about.

It is true that LP72s are more fun to dive with and are usually less expensive. But, in order to get more than 63 cft, they need the plus rating or a shop that will fill them beyond the 2250 basic (no plus rated) service pressure. Some shops are good about giving you a nice 2500 fill on those tanks, others not so much.

That was the VE test--I just couldn't think of what it was called. I had it done on one tank and it added $10 to the price of the testing so to me it wasn't worth spending somewhere around $50 to get a tank tested again that had a high likelihood of failing, especially when I can get a used steel 72 for a few bucks and the total price including the hydro comes out to be less. I have never had a steel 72 fail a hydro test or VIP. My oldest tanks are from the 60s.

Also, I've only had one steel 72 filled to 2250 one time and when I questioned it the guy filled it to 2475. In my personal experience, as long as the original hydro has the "+" they fill it to 2475. All of the steel 72s I've had filled at dive shops were in Southern California. I've read about shops overfilling tanks in "cave country" to way beyond their ratings but I have no personal experience with that and wonder about the wisdom of that.

I'm just offering a possible alternative to the OP and pointing out that contrary to popular belief most aluminum 80s do not hold 80 cu/ft at 3000 psi. Personally I would be skeptical about buying used aluminum 80s, especially from the 80s and possibly the early 90s. I don't remember exactly when they quit making them with the 6351 and they don't exactly stamp it on the tank so without looking up the manufacture's number it might not be obvious.

Meanwhile, I think I read that it is the Chinese who are now making crappy aluminum tanks. I recently talked to an instructor who's friend was killed filling one. Steel tanks have exploded too but I doubt if it has been much of a problem since dive shops began requiring a VIP.

Also, for all of you guys who take your tanks directly to a hydro testing station, how do you find them? I spend a lot of time searching and asking about them but always ended up taking it to a dive shop. My fire extinguisher guy said where he goes they don't do scuba tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom