Used AL80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah I deleted my post when I realized i was WRONG.

Most people would not fill LP72s to 3300 PSI, myself included. If t-bone wants to do it, that's his business. You only need to get them to 2700 to get 77 cft (same as an AL80) and that's not a huge overfill. At 3000 they're around 86 cft. It quickly gets to the point where you have to ask yourself, if you need that much gas on a dive, why not use a bigger tank instead?

When I was about 13 years old my LDS had a steel tank mounted on the wall that had exploded. It made an impression so I never even considered filling a 72 past 2475. Our awareness has improved significantly since then and for all I know the tank may never had been hydroed, left empty for long periods, never inspected, etc. 77 cu/ft sounds great to me.

No, they are 71.2 at their 10% overfill at 2475. These are 3AA2250 tanks.

I hate making broad statements with nothing to back them up but here goes: most divers don't seem to know that the "72" or "80" only applies when the tank is filled to 10% over the pressure stamped on the tank. Don't they teach that in dive classes?

Well, maybe not most, but a lot anyway.

Last edited:
Most people would not fill LP72s to 3300 PSI, myself included. If t-bone wants to do it, that's his business. You only need to get them to 2700 to get 77 cft (same as an AL80) and that's not a huge overfill. At 3000 they're around 86 cft. It quickly gets to the point where you have to ask yourself, if you need that much gas on a dive, why not use a bigger tank instead?

that's still well underneath their hydro pressure which is WAY below their burst pressure.... We will fill to 3300 or so and they'll usually cool off to about 3000 which is fine. Anyone who thinks that they're going to burst by filling to 3300 has no real understanding of how these things are built. The hydro pressure is 3750 psi *a test designed to test expansion of the tank, not intended to ever get anywhere close to their failure pressure*, and the burst disc pressure for the DoT is 3375psi *90% of hydro test pressure*.
So, if the burst disc isn't even intended to go off until over what we are filling them to, and the burst disc is put in to prevent any tank or valve failures, the tank must be safe at pressures below the burst disc pressure

Regarding bigger tanks. They are the same water volume as HP100's, so use them as such if you want/need to. If I need bigger than 100cf, I have bigger tanks for that, but there is nothing unsafe/permanently damaging about filling these tanks to 3300psi

Last edited:
That's $30 more than DGX and a lot of the other shops....
I was just providing one common data point to show the OP was overpaying for used AL 80 tanks, not to claim I'd necessarily found the lowest advertised price around. :)

How much is a hydro and vis going to cost at your LDS? You really need to factor this into any used tank you purchase. My LDS quoted me $125 (seems high to me but that is not surprising for my LDS). If you are going to pay $100 for a used tank you might as well buy new.

I see you are in the Niagara region. Dan's dive shop sells AL 80's for $230-$250 Cdn. Luxfer Aluminum 80 Scuba Tank For Sale Online

The cheapest I have been able to find is just east of Montreal (if you happen to be in the area) where they sell AL 80's for $189 Cdn. Promotion équipement Plongée Sous-Marine - 450-932-6688
http://www.scubasurface.com/promotion-equipement-plongee-sous-marine/
At $189 for a new tank and $125 for hydro, I wouldn't buy a used Al tank without hydro.

that is a wild price for a hydro!!! Dan's does a hydro for $50 dollars I think they O2 clean it and visually inspect it as well... for 50 dollars you get quite a lot. (90% sure on the O2 thing so don't quote me on it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom