Used AL80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for another tank for the new dive season, I bought an AL80 last year new and it cost about 250-300 CAD I think. All I want is a cheap AL80 so I can do more dives with my friends in one day.

Looking online for a used one has turned up pleanty of used AL80s however they always need a hydro... Do aluminum tanks have a life span? Can the tank fail a hydro and not be fixed? I am really just wondering the downside and chances of losing my money buying used.

I would very happily buy a worthington hp100 as I don't need weight when I dive with it, it is really a perfect tank, but they dissapear minutes after being posted lol high demand.

I have several 80 cf Aluminum tanks I don't need any longer. Would you like one of mine? I would have to check shipping rates and the hydros on them (they have all been serviced since we started diving so I would have to look at the stamps to see what they look like).

If any cylinder fails a requal test (aka hydro) it is toast. The tester will stamp out the UDOT/TC markings. A cylinder that fails a VIP may be fixable via tumbling.

As for used AL cylinders. They do fail but not likely if it was well maintained. Just figure the cost of the requal test and VIP into the cost. That said Al cylinders do no have a life time but try to buy a cylinder that is 10-15 years old. Only because some shop like to put and arbitrary and capricious life for filling them.

Also see the sticky on AL6351 cylinders in the Tank Forum.

My 4 AL80s are all from about 1990 and so far always passed hydro & visual. The last one I just bought at the LDS for $160 CAD. I traded a steel 72 for one, and the other TWO I got for $75 (not each, for both) off Kijiji. The deal was for a mess of stuff for $150, but I split that with a buddy and he took all the other stuff. I think there is a lot of equipment out there sitting in closets from people who got certified (maybe years ago) and didn't dive much.

check for LP72's, much much better tanks than AL80's where you are. Total rig weight with them is about 10lbs lighter than an AL80 and they hold the same amount of gas. You can usually find them quite cheap
Scuba Tank
$60 for that, add another $40 for a brand new valve if you dive DIN, and about the same for hydro/vip/fill and voila. $150 you have a lp72 that works well.

that said, if you were charged $250-$300, even cad for an AL80 you got ripped off.... We can get them all day every day for $200cad/$150usd

Two of my old aluminum 80s are made from the AL6351 so they are good for holding open the storage shed doors when it's windy and that's about it. My other 80 needs to get an additional test (some kind of x-ray, I think) which adds more $$$ to the hydro test so to me it's not worth getting hydroed again, especially when I can get a used steel 72 and get it hydroed for about the same amount of $$$. Unless something dramatic changes I'm through buying aluminum tanks.

In my personal experience most dive shops fill the steel 72s to 2475 and the aluminum 80s to 3000. The former will get you about 71.4 cu/ft and the latter about 76. Not a humongous difference in my opinion.

yes. it's not that difficult. has to be done without a valve in. any of the major shipping companies will ship them but usually not worth it. best to keep an eye out on craigslist, you're in an area where things will usually pop up pretty regularly. keep checking in on toronto and buffalo and you'll find something

Two of my old aluminum 80s are made from the AL6351 so they are good for holding open the storage shed doors when it's windy and that's about it. My other 80 needs to get an additional test (some kind of x-ray, I think) which adds more $$$ to the hydro test so to me it's not worth getting hydroed again, especially when I can get a used steel 72 and get it hydroed for about the same amount of $$$. Unless something dramatic changes I'm through buying aluminum tanks.

In my personal experience most dive shops fill the steel 72s to 2475 and the aluminum 80s to 3000. The former will get you about 71.4 cu/ft and the latter about 76. Not a humongous difference in my opinion.

The only other test a 6061 aluminum tank might need is a VIP. Only 6351 alloy tanks need eddy current tests to check for cracking. You can do eddy current testing on a 6061 alloy but it's not required.

LP72 tanks are nice but I get a high failure rate on them. 2/8 failed so far due to expansion. I've had 0/50+ aluminum tanks fail, some as old as 1988.

Back
Top Bottom