Used AL80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just make sure you have the right burst discs in

I fixed the leak on my fill whip and adjusted the relief valve and started filling. It seemed to be taking a long, long time and my gauge was only up to 2600 and the relief valve had not opened yet. Suspecting something was amiss I turned it off and connected a gauge to the tank. It was at 2850. I'm aiming at 2700 which will be very close to an AL80. On my little Cornelius it looks like turning the screw on the relief valve one "hole" (about 1/10 of a full turn) equals about 100 psi more. It also looks like I'm going to be changing my oil and filters more often.

As for the burst disc, I read that the 2250 tanks usually have a burst of 3400 or so (and you said 3375, I believe). Is it necessary to switch to a higher burst disc if I'm only filling to 2700?

Last edited:
@JamesBon92007

in terms of finding the hydro shops, just call the shops up directly. None of them are likely to advertise that they do it, but if you call them, they likely have the ability to do it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found a fire extinguisher place and they will hydo my steel tanks for $20 each :)

I figure I'll do probably four at a time. Two are about 30 years since their last hydro and the old Sportsways with the 1/2" J-Valve hasn't had it done for about 40 years. It will be interesting to see how they do. I got these three on Craig's List and didn't pay much for the tanks so if one fails I'm still in good shape. They all look good inside and out so I'm not worried. J-Valve pull rods seem to be scarce these days but I'll have to get one somewhere. This particular tank has a very high "cool" factor :wink:

I also have an 1800 psi CO2 tank that would be fun to put into service but the only valves I've found were rather pricey.

Back
Top Bottom