Question User reviews on Scubapro Super Nova Seawing fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright. I received my pair of Supernovas today. Size Large.

The Supernovas feel a bit stiffer than my Gorillas but the foot pocket is much softer and nicer.

The heel straps that come with SN are just fine but I find the ones that come with Novas and Gorillas a bit thicker and sturdier. The bungee cords that come with Novas, Gorillas and SN are just fine but I prefer thiner ones. I use 1/4 inch bungees from SGT Knots. It is much easier to put on and take off.

Interestingly, the SN looks smaller than Gorillas.

Attachments

• tempImageGhyGhA.png
    tempImageGhyGhA.png
    990.4 KB · Views: 99
  • tempImagedi2E5e.png
    tempImagedi2E5e.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 138
  • tempImage8LzwC2.png
    tempImage8LzwC2.png
    420.7 KB · Views: 91
  • tempImagei4PF5m.png
    tempImagei4PF5m.png
    697.3 KB · Views: 86
  • tempImagePvrtBU.png
    tempImagePvrtBU.png
    507.9 KB · Views: 98
I have been using my SuperNovas very actively this year. I am convinced that they are the best scuba fins I have ever used! This week I made several dives in one new location I never dove before. I was swimming 600 meters on surface in full kit (single 15L steel tanks, SP Hydros BC/Hollis ST Elite BC), 3mm and 4mm jump suits, with two dive lights, dive float, speargun attached to float and towing the float on surface (using snorkel and swimming face/belly down) until I got to the drop down point 600 meters away from entry point at shore. I continued to swim further out underwater in a "zigzag" pattern heading on the same direction as I was doing on surface for about another 500meters.

I made a couple of stops on the way out on surface to rest but wasn't exhausted or overly tired at all. Knees and ankles were feeling great and I was actually enjoying the swim out looking down watching the underwater marine life and topography comparing it with what I was getting from Google Earth Pro. Underwater it was even easier and more pleasure to kick with the fins using flutter, dolphin and frog kicks as well as turning and backing up.

I swam all the way back to exit point on shore underwater for an estimated 1km (based on GPS and using Google Earth), it was a little more since I was doing a "zigzag" pattern. My air consumption was very good. Dive time was between 70 - 90 minutes (doesn't include the surface swim time). I still had 50 - 60 bars of air left in my tank (starting pressure was between 200 - 245 bar). Max depth was 10 - 14 meters. I didn't have any issue with my legs in calves, ankles or thighs at all during and after the dive.

I Did this profile 5 times this week and covered lots of ground in this dive site (dive site is called "Heavens Gate"). I was heading straight out to sea but on slightly different course for each dive, bearing of 340/350/0/10 degrees. On the first dive I had stronger surface current at the beginning. Second dive had more active waves on the way out. This amount of swimming is an achievement for this tired old diver :)

Most of my diving is from shore most of my life. 99% of my dives the past 10 or so years are from shore. Hardly any boat diving. I have to swim for a very long distance on surface to get to a location that has better underwater topography and marine life and is deeper than 5 - 8 meters. I have used many brands and models of fins from AquaLung, Mares, Scubapro, Atomic, SeacSub and Cressi (and other brands I can't remember). I have never had fins that were this perfect like the SuperNovas. They are stable, easy to kick with without being flimsy, strong power transfer for strong kick. Didn't have any pain in any part of my legs or spasms during and after the dive. The top fins I have been using since 2010 were Mares Quattros, AquaLung Sling, Scubapro Go Sport, Atomic X1 BLADEFIN and now the Scubapro SuperNovas. I rate the SuperNovas as number 1 by a wide margin followed by the SP Go Sport. It is a tie between the Atomic X1 and AquaLung Sling for number 3 (distant no. 3 from the two Scubapro fins). Mares Quattros are number 4 way back in the dust.

Note:

1. The Atomic X1 is a very stiff fin and very different from the AquaLung Sling. The AL Sling is a very old fin and isn't made or sold anymore (it has been EoS for few years). If you want a very stiff fins, the Atomic X1 is your friend.

2. Mares Quattros feel like a paddle on my feet compared with the SuperNovas or Go Sport. I don't see me using them again at all. (Note I used the Quattros extensively way back when they first came out in 90's but no more).

I can't wait to try the new S Tek version of the SuperNovas and the Gorilla version of the Go Sport. I hope that I get to do that in the coming few months before the end of the dive season. For now, I am enjoying my SuperNovas and my expanding my dive distance range in comfort and fun.

Have been waiting to try these, it's finally time this week. So far the only thing I can comment on is the ability to take them apart. I'm a carry-on only traveler, so these fins coming out are the only reason I bought fins in the first place as nothing else would have worked for me. This is my Osprey farpoint 40 with all my scuba gear on it (diving boots, flashlight, dive computer, mask, snorkel, dsmb, I rent reg and wetsuit). The bag is still less than half full and there's hidden space between the two fins, enough to fit a book or similar, plus the space where your foot goes (which I'm using to put my diving boots)

There's ample space left. I'm carrying 5 socks/underwear, a pair of shorts, a thin rain jacket, a hoodie, 5 t shirts, charger, 20000mah battery, microfiber towel, a pair of flip flops, water bottle, and toiletries/meds bag.

To me, this is what you're paying 200$ for, and if you're like me, your only other option is to pay 100$ per trip to check a bag both ways or to rent fins and be stuck with crappy fins that don't fit you well. I was doing the second but on my last trip I developed a sore on my big toe that ruined my dives because the shop didn't have my size available, so all in all the 200$ investment is well justified in my circumstances

IMG20231201212654.jpg

Have been waiting to try these, it's finally time this week. So far the only thing I can comment on is the ability to take them apart. I'm a carry-on only traveler, so these fins coming out are the only reason I bought fins in the first place as nothing else would have worked for me. This is my Osprey farpoint 40 with all my scuba gear on it (diving boots, flashlight, dive computer, mask, snorkel, dsmb, I rent reg and wetsuit). The bag is still less than half full and there's hidden space between the two fins, enough to fit a book or similar, plus the space where your foot goes (which I'm using to put my diving boots)

There's ample space left. I'm carrying 5 socks/underwear, a pair of shorts, a thin rain jacket, a hoodie, 5 t shirts, charger, 20000mah battery, microfiber towel, a pair of flip flops, water bottle, and toiletries/meds bag.

To me, this is what you're paying 200$ for, and if you're like me, your only other option is to pay 100$ per trip to check a bag both ways or to rent fins and be stuck with crappy fins that don't fit you well. I was doing the second but on my last trip I developed a sore on my thumb that ruined my dives because the shop didn't have my size available, so all in all the 200$ investment is well justified in my circumstances

View attachment 813914
Sore on your thumb because the shop did not have WHAT available? I think that I’ve spotted the problem. Try putting the fins on your feet next time. They work so much better that way! 😅

Sore on your thumb because the shop did not have WHAT available? I think that I’ve spotted the problem. Try putting the fins on your feet next time. They work so much better that way! 😅
Oops, fixed. English isn't my native language, thumb and big toe are the same word in my brain haha

To me, this is what you're paying 200$ for, and if you're like me, your only other option is to pay 100$ per trip to check a bag both ways or to rent fins and be stuck with crappy fins that don't fit you well. I was doing the second but on my last trip I developed a sore on my big toe that ruined my dives because the shop didn't have my size available, so all in all the 200$ investment is well justified in my circumstances

View attachment 813914
I suppose there is some reassembly required. I am not needing to pack my fins disassembled. I think I had seen in earlier comments somewhere either on this thread or elsewhere on this forum, how to separate parts and reassemble. I know if there is a great deal of force necessary, even using hand tools to do, I may be not able to do this. Cubital Tunnel Syndrome in one elbow has nerve impingement to my ulnar nerve. Hand has strength, sure, but pain arises with use. Going to have my holiday present as seeing what surgeons can offer.

I suppose there is some reassembly required. I am not needing to pack my fins disassembled. I think I had seen in earlier comments somewhere either on this thread or elsewhere on this forum, how to separate parts and reassemble. I know if there is a great deal of force necessary, even using hand tools to do, I may be not able to do this. Cubital Tunnel Syndrome in one elbow has nerve impingement to my ulnar nerve. Hand has strength, sure, but pain arises with use. Going to have my holiday present as seeing what surgeons can offer.
Not much effort

When you purchase a pair of Supernova fins you receive a MFS Multitool that includes 4 spare MFS Lock Plates (clips).

Your LDS is correct in that the MFS Lock Plates are not sold individually. Scubapro sells the MFS Multitool that includes the 4 MFS Lock Plates for $10. I would bet any large SP dealer to have a few multitools in service spares so they can give away a single MFS Lock Plate for their good customers that are in need of one.

Not true. I bought them, 4 pieces in the package.

they do sell the assembly keepers, $8 for a pair or $12 for the tool and 4
View attachment 761682

Lock plates at least are available now on USA Amazon - $8 delivered.
Amazon - SCUBAPRO Seawing Supernova Modular Fin System Lock Plate Set, Black

Easy as hell to assemble and disassemble, they come with a tool but all you really need is the tip of a knife that isn't too sharp. If this is putting you off, trust me it's a non-issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom