Using a BAR submersible pressure gauge in the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not always but frequently I seem to get divers who either do not believe me when I hand single them my remaining gas or want to visual examine my pressure gauge, I dive with a PSI gauge. I have been thinking of doing things differently, like routing my primary 2nd stage over my left shoulder rather than the standard right shoulder, (adopting the gear configurations used in Europe). These changes have provided me with only slight entertainment.

Has anyone switched to BAR for use in the USA? what reactions did you get if any?

(When people ask me the time, I give it to them in 24 hour clock because all my time pieces are set to 24 hour)

Sorry, I have a great sense of humour and a fondness for practical jokes, but I really don't understand why you want to mess with people underwater.

If the only reason you want a SPG with a BAR scale is to mess with people, you have a problem.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2015 at 09:40 PM ----------

Having dived in a number of countries with varying units, I see no issue as long as YOU AND YOUR BUDDY are familiar with what you have. That it is feet/metres PSI/BAR means little. The confusion arises when you are paired with someone with different units on their rig. In that instance, you should only dive if you are confident enough. If you are a nervous diver, then leave it alone and either find a buddy with your units or don't dive. You will have enough issues if things go wrong, without the worry of differing units.

You miss the point - he is TRYING to create confusion.

After all the signs for air are half tank and reserve. Nobody should be talking about numbers.

That may work with teams of experiencec divers but I dive frequently with instabuddies and am in a lead position. We always discuss how to report PSI. Once or twice earlier in the dive I will ask their air consumption so I can calibrate it with my own. I do not assume they will remember to tell me. Have had more than one that if I asked when I was at half, they would have been OOA.

There are just to many advantages to using metric and actual tank volume, so I decided to go that way.

Sorry, I have a great sense of humour and a fondness for practical jokes, but I really don't understand why you want to mess with people underwater.

If the only reason you want a SPG with a BAR scale is to mess with people, you have a problem.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2015 at 09:40 PM ----------

You miss the point - he is TRYING to create confusion.

That is what I was thinking. Commenting on a buddy asking about his pressure then saying he was going to change the units. Seems to me that this would only cause more problems.

I thought maybe I misread it or didn't understand what he was hoping to accomplish.

Honestly, the most difficulty I have communicating tank pressure isn't whether it's in PSI or Bar, but the different styles of hand signals that divers use under water. Drives me nuts sometimes. Quite a number of divers have apparently been taught to signal numbers by addition. For example, a buddy recent signaled me five twice. I'm there thinking "What does five five mean?" Neither 550 psi nor 55 Bar made sense. Turned out she meant 1000 psi. Huh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly, the most difficulty I have communicating tank pressure isn't whether it's in PSI or Bar, but the different styles of hand signals that divers use under water. Drives me nuts sometimes. Quite a number of divers have apparently been taught to signal numbers by addition. For example, a buddy recent signaled me five twice. I'm there thinking "What does five five mean?" Neither 550 psi nor 55 Bar made sense. Turned out she meant 1000 psi. Huh?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hence why most people like to look at your gauge to work out pressure. If its a team and everyone knows everyone else its fine. If however its a group of individuals from various areas/countries, looking at the gauge makes more sense.

I like to be told at 100 BAR/1500 PSI and 50 BAR/700 PSI for recreational diving. If divers struggle to explain their air I look (as most DM do)

I tell every new buddy (and remind the old ones) signal to me real slow with definite motions. Then easy to tell what they meant. Early on by the time I remembered what system they were using some would have flashed through it so quickly they were done already or the signals were not clear and I was not sure I had it right. Especially if we were about to go our away from the anchor again important to get it right.

There are just to many advantages to using metric and actual tank volume, so I decided to go that way.

Same here. Many of the American's here end up diving Metric. :wink:
I haven't heard anyone express wanting to switch back to Imperial.

There are divers here that dive Imperial of course; it's not a problem diving with mixed systems. It's an easy matter to discuss it pre-dive.

You're gonna use the Metric system on Life Support equipment??? :reaper: Yer gonna die!!!!

:)

You're gonna use the Metric system on Life Support equipment??? :reaper: Yer gonna die!!!!

:)

'course I am. I'm just counting on it not happening until some 30-40 years from now :cool2:

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

---------- Post added February 24th, 2015 at 04:55 PM ----------

routing my primary 2nd stage over my left shoulder rather than the standard right shoulder, (adopting the gear configurations used in Europe).

Uh... what???

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom