Using A Long Hose Isn't Just For Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
interesting procedure....

Nova posted about this early in this thread - the idea is that you give your buddy the pony and stay the heck away from him so that in his paniced stated he does not hurt you.

It's pretty much the opposite of the "always donate a reg you know is working - the one you are breathing" school of thought.

Actually he did call it a pony in reference to cave diving:

novadiver:
Another reason to sling a pony ... you got double 80s and a deco . You add another 80 cuft stage and you both are golden. The 80 is reserve and you don't have to touch it anyway. 1/3rds rule

MASS-Diver:
It's pretty much the opposite of the "always donate a reg you
know is working - the one you are breathing" school of thought.

yeah...

it's also the opposite of a team concept, stick to your buddy, calm him down, etc.

i don't know.. with my little experience (11 cave dives) i don't think i like it.

wedivebc:
OK back to our regularly scheduled debate.
Question: When sharing long hose through a restriction, does donor lead or follow?

Go around it or over it...we're talking about using a long hose in open water. Maybe you should post your off topic question in the cave forum.

H2Andy:
so what's your answer, Nova? does donor lead or follow?
the question was about restrictions right. well use common sense,if you don't have a choice of placement , you just don't have a choice. the most important part is that they exit the enviroment. It doesn't matter who's in front. the ooa diver is in touch contact and calm because the real deal has already been taken care of.

that said, please read " out of air emergencies pages 17, 20-21, 23-24, 26-28,205-207" NSS-CDS manual. it goes in depth about the subject.

that way I won't have to post 50 posts, just to make a single point ,that would be lost anyway

miketsp:
If I'm donating air to an unknown OOA that has just been through a stressful moment, I like to look them in the eyes, just in case they decide to panic and drag me up with them. IMHO just the fact that I've got a firm hold of their shoulder strap has a calming influence.

But nothing says you can't grab someone's shoulder with the long hose either. You just have more space to organize things.

novadiver:
that said, please read " out of air emergencies pages 17, 20-21, 23-24, 26-28,205-
207" NSS-CDS manual. it goes in depth about the subject.

i will tonight, thank you.

Stephen Ash:
Go around it or over it...we're talking about using a long hose in open water. Maybe you should post your off topic question in the cave forum.
Oh yeah right, I wouldn't want this thread to get off track :crafty:

So…the other day…a DM candidate comes up to me and asks my advice on rigging up a reg. He usually uses a hog rig but the shop won’t let him assist in class or continue his training with that set up, “Too confusing for students.”

That’s a shame!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom