Using A Long Hose Isn't Just For Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver:
Jonny please up date your profile, I didn't see ANY OVERHEAD TRAINING in it,
Absolutely true!

Makes it even MORE surprising that I recognize a "Death Wish" gas plan like having a slung pony bottle as my "emergency third" for cave diving, doesn't it?

H2Andy:
i will tonight, thank you.
please read page 26 carefully, it deals with long hoses and what can happen when you put a long hose on a reg that was not DESIGNED to have one, now that's one for the books

Stephen Ash:
So…the other day…a DM candidate comes up to me and asks my advice on rigging up a reg. He usually uses a hog rig but the shop won’t let him assist in class or continue his training with that set up, “Too confusing for students.”

That’s a shame!
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=343603&postcount=34

Mike Ferrara, who has actually taught a student or two, seems to disagree.

H2Andy:
the...... slung cave pony?

is this a trick question?
and while your reading try pages 60-62, and 64 dealing with stage bottles and the differance between the two types, same manual NSS-CDS cave diving

OK, sports fans . . .

The hypothesis of the thread is:
"Using a long hose isn't just for tech divers . . ."

. . . not about pony bottles, HID lights, split fins, who owns a dive shop, who has hemorrhoids, or whatever.

The antithesis of the hypothesis would be, "Using a long hose is just for tech divers."

To prove the hypothesis true, all one needs do is provide one example wherein a diver, other than a technical diver, could, or would, employ a long primay regulator hose.

To prove the anthesis false, all one needs do is provide one example where in a diver, other than a technical diver, could, or would, employ a long primary regulator hose.

To wit: A recreational diver has entered an environment from which he cannot extract himself. The diver is running low on air. The entrapped diver's buddy's standard length primary regulator hose and his alternate airsource hoses are too short to reach the trapped diver to supply him with breathing gas. If the primary regulator hose was a 5' or 7' hose, it would reach the entrapped diver.

I have provided one example that proves the hypothesis true and the antithesis false, therefore the hypothesis is true.

Quod erat demonstratum.

Can we move on along now?

Although this has never happened to me personally but I will throw it out there anyways.

During the summer months some of our favorite dive spots have a thick canopy kelp. Although this is not what I would consider a overhead enviroment, I would not want to ascend in the middle of a thick kelp canopy and have to untangle myself and kelp crawl out. There might even be a possibility of having a difficult time breaking through the canopy to get to the surface. In this case it would be nice to donate the long hose to a OOA or low on air diver and swim out of the kelp forest single file before ascending. Perfect use for a long hose in a recreational non-technical enviroment.

Dryglove:
Although this has never happened to me personally but I will throw it out there anyways.

During the summer months some of our favorite dive spots have a thick canopy kelp. Although this is not what I would consider a overhead enviroment, I would not want to ascend in the middle of a thick kelp canopy and have to untangle myself and kelp crawl out. There might even be a possibility of having a difficult time breaking through the canopy to get to the surface. In this case it would be nice to donate the long hose to a OOA or low on air diver and swim out of the kelp forest single file before ascending. Perfect use for a long hose in a recreational non-technical enviroment.

Same thing up here when we venture into shipping lanes. When someone goes OOA the dive is over, but you may not want to descend right away - you may want to swim for a bit, at that point a long hose (and having practiced with it) really comes in handy.

BTW, for those following the recreational gas mangament segment that has been a componet of the thread -for dives like this (where if go OOA at anypoint in the dive you want to be able to swim back, while sharing air, to the starting point) you would get your rock bottom and subtract that for your starting pressure. This is then the working ammount of gas you have for the dive - on a drift dive you would use all the gas and simply go up when you hit rock bottom, for a turn around dive you would use 1/2 out. 1/2 back. But for a dive where getting back to point A is very important, you would often then use 1/3s (again 1/3 of the working pressure, not the starting pressure). 1/3s of a working pressure is very conservative, but useful for recreational diving where you really want to get back to the starting point without surfacing. HTH

dang, i think the Kraken has hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head

I switched to a hong hose for some OW diving and the primary consideration was not air sharing. I just got tired of things grabbing my std hose as I swam by. The long hose is not as exposed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom