Using the regulator to provide rescue breathing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seal the lips around the mouthpiece, seal the nose, block the exhaust valves (but not too much that you risk trauma to the lungs) in addition to maintaining an open airway and possibly alternating all of that with chest compressions. All theoretically possible, but it's also making CPR much more complicated and potentially hazardous than it needs to be.

In my work, I routinely use BMV units on patients of all shapes and sizes. It's a skill that needs special training and practice with equipment that is specifically designed for providing positive pressure ventilation. I don't see any benefit from using a scuba 2nd stage to ventilate a patient that would outweigh the added complications, risks, and hazards to which both the patient and rescuer would be exposed.

It was an excellent question and thanks for starting the thread.

It was an excellent question and thanks for starting the thread.
Indeed - good questions and good answers. Ventilation of any kind can be dangerous, powered ventilation done by untrained lay rescuers is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

NO, NO, NO, NO!

Do not use a Scuba Reg to attempt rescue breathing!!!

Very rarely will I step in and simply stop a discussion. This is one of those times due to safety concerns. I am not a medical doctor. I am an instructor trainer for ASHI and this is one thing we are adamant on:

You must only use an APPROVED respiration device which limits the pressure exerted on the victim's lungs.

If this or a BMV is not available or you are unsure how to use it or of it's capabilities, PLEASE use only your exhalation as this provides a natural pressure limiter. Even then, some states prohibit these devices so know your laws. The BMV is by far the best way to go. By all means, attend a CPR course every other year to keep your skills up to date!

This thread is now closed.

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom