UW Photoshop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can also use the action from adobe called underwater.atn, i just stop the auto levels part and do my own. it will work with any version of photoshop 7-cs3. i've attached it in a zip file to this post. good luck.
twist.

What does the action do?
I have an older action called "Bob's Automatic" (with a subset called Mandrake). It does a set of adjustments (with lots of layering) that adds back reds and brightens up photos. It has done some wondrous things with some pics I had that just looked black. It was on the board many years ago and I keep moving it as I upgrade computers. Unfortunately, I was not able to get it to work with a demo of CS2 that I had. I was hoping your action did something similar...

Thanks,
DamselDoc

DamselDoc, What is a diffuser? I don't think Sealife has them. Great shot of the Spiegel. Now that I have my new camera I hope to get some good down there. I want to get the plack on the side too.

[
Jill... my depth was about 80 feet. The pic was from a dive on the Spiegel Grove in the Keys. We are using an Olympus 5050 with dual Inon strobes (with diffusers. The diffusers make a huge difference.

DamselDoc[/quote]

Ok, I unzipped and it opened my photoshop 7 but what next?:confused:

you can also use the action from adobe called underwater.atn, i just stop the auto levels part and do my own. it will work with any version of photoshop 7-cs3. i've attached it in a zip file to this post. good luck.
twist.

To set up the action in PS, (and if there is a better way to do it, please let me know), here is what worked for me...

Take the atn file and copy it to the "photoshop actions" folder. For me, I follow follow the following path... program files/adobe/photoshop 7.0/presets/photoshop actions (those are all the sub-folders I have mine in)

Then you should have it listed under the "actions" tab on the right hand side of the window (when you are in PS). Are you familiar with using actions?

As for the diffusers. The look like white disks that cover the front of my strobes. They cause the flash to spread out a little more and the result is a softer light. The diffusers help cut down on "hot spots" where there is a little too much light in one area. They have also really cut down on the backscatter (which saves me the hours of having to photoshop the little speckles away).

Yeah, I looked there, but that is starting price...I'm sure that is going up. Plus ebays scares me, I had my identity stolen from there a few years ago. Had to change everything everywhere after that. Luckily they saw it before I did and locked everything down.
Thanks for the thought though. BTW... your kids are beautiful!
Jill

Jill.

Photoshop CS2 on E-bay $75 dollars!!

Well worth the money!

Are you familiar with using actions?

As for the diffusers. The look like white disks that cover the front of my strobes. They cause the flash to spread out a little more and the result is a softer light. The diffusers help cut down on "hot spots" where there is a little too much light in one area. They have also really cut down on the backscatter (which saves me the hours of having to photoshop the little speckles away).

I am not familiar with much on Photoshop let alone atn.:confused: I really need to get a grip on "concepts" like layers, masks and gradients. Anything I have done so far is by following uwphoto trial downloads or reading some snipits on line. I ordered unphotoshop yesterday... I can't wait for it to come in. It looks like he covers the concepts in his videos. I definitely need video as some of the text I have read get me lost, unless there are pictures with it.:lotsalove: AND definitely need to learn how to removes those damn speckles.

I guess diffusers are universal? You use diffusers all the time? I would have thought at the distance you were, that you would have needed as much light as you could.

I am not familiar with much on Photoshop let alone atn.:confused: I really need to get a grip on "concepts" like layers, masks and gradients. Anything I have done so far is by following uwphoto trial downloads or reading some snipits on line. I ordered unphotoshop yesterday... I can't wait for it to come in. It looks like he covers the concepts in his videos. I definitely need video as some of the text I have read get me lost, unless there are pictures with it.:lotsalove: AND definitely need to learn how to removes those damn speckles.

I have attached a document with some notes on how to use the action. (I did it in a document so I could give you a screen shot that shows where I am talking about.) On the dvd, he will do a much better job of telling you how to do things, but I am not sure that he sets up actions. The help files with PS give some information on using them, but sometimes make my eyes cross and my brain melt a little.:wink:

I guess diffusers are universal? You use diffusers all the time? I would have thought at the distance you were, that you would have needed as much light as you could.

I use the diffusers all of the time. I bought the ones that are made for the Inon strobes. I guess that all manufacturers offer their own accessories like diffusers?
I have read on the board that other divers have made their own diffusers with tupperware, coffee can lids (the white plastic ones), baggies... You may want to check out the thread in the strobes/lights section.

Attachments

• action document.doc
    102 KB · Views: 29
Buy it. It's awesome value for money. I still haven't gone through the whole thing but the two or three sections I've looked at have already made the price worthwhile.

It is by far some of the best money I have spent on photography.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom