Valhalla feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svnipp

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just curious about diving out at the Valhalla missle silo in Abilene? I figure that this would be a good place to do the deep water cert. Anyone have thoughts or feelings on this place? I'm really just curious at this point. I'm still just counting down to my basic OW class, but I'm definitely looking beyond that.

Lots "o" Swampers been there....
I would dive some more before going there and be prepared for dark, deep, cold, and an altitude dive.

I went there in Jan with some swamp divers. I enjoyed the dives, but it is not someplace I would go too often. It was a weird feeling hanging out in the remnants of the cold war era.

- All dives are "night" dives, the overhead lights only penetrate 20-30ft so lights are required at depth, but is is not pitch black.

- The bottom of the silo is a pile of junk from the original site, nothing living. Mildly interesting.

- Water is pretty clear and cool (58-60), feels colder since you don't have the warm sun for the SI.

- They have a large second room (the old living quarters) with a staging area and a small restroom.

- They were in the process of hooking up a shower

- The owners (Family Scuba) are a friendly bunch.

- Access is limited to groups with an instructor (for insurance purposes).

The Silo is cool ... I've done 5 dives there. 'Got the Rattlesnake to prove it.

The climb down all the stairs to the dive platform and then the none stop drop to the debris pile is a kick in the A**
Doing a class there would make it like slamming only 1/2 a shot and then calling it a night. :shakehead:

IMHO... go dive the Silo for the fun of it and don't do it as part of a Cert.

You can get a Cert. in any old lake. Go dive the Silo when you can just think about doing that dive and not all you have to do for a class.

'Silly to waste a good dive.

Last edited:
I agree with everything I have heard here; especially timeliner's comments. It's kind of a neat dive. It is a cold war relic although I didn't feel weird about it. Of course then again, I am interested in the history of those things.

I definitely would NOT conduct this dive as part of a certification. It is an interesting dive for one time. You really should be focused on the experience of the dive / dive site though. Don't be distracted with the requirements of a certification.

Timeliner does have a rattlesnake skin. I was there. I saw it.

Seriously, this is a fun little dive; but just do it as a fun dive. I will add this. The perfectly, smooth, round, grey concrete cylinder that is the silo can give you some interesting sensations of vertigo. With the cylinder being as described, you never have any real solid reference point for motion as you travel from surface to about 80 ft. There are a few exceptions to this statement but I don't need to clutter up the basic relevance of this statement.

Everyone should do this dive one time just because it is unique.

Do it for the adventure and unique dive experience. I
did it in January and had a great time. You'll be part
of a small group of people that have ever dove a
missile silo as this is supposedly the only one in the
world open to the public. People love hearing the
story too.

Last edited:
The Silo is cool ... I've done 5 dives there. 'Got the Rattlesnake to prove it

I believe I heard this story in my OW class. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom