"Value Priced" Certification in Atlanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I may suggest for the Atlanta area, check out Seaventures in Roswell on Holcomb Bridge Rd.

My fiancee and I are taking our certification course later this month for 200 bucks. It's 3 days minus the OW certification dives. For those dives we are going on their trip to Key West Memorial Day weekend.

They have 3 classes between now and the first week of May according to their class schedule.

What sold us on them was that they had their own indoor heated pool for the CW stuff.

Their web site is www.seaventures.com if you want to check it out.

I agree with others that posted let her do the Discover Scuba class. She might not even want to Scuba . Then you'd be out of the money you spent on her course. Save up then if she wants to get certified after the discover class get her certified.They already are pressed for time in a normal length course,I just don't see how they can teach some one to dive safely in 10 hrs. But that is my.02 PSI

How about doing the book and pool work in ATL and do the open water dives in the bahamas.

Learning to dive and going diving takes a commitment to do it correctly.Commitment in time and money..If you cannot afford to get certified then you cannot afford proper equipment or even the rental of it.Take a "free" discover class at your resort pool(if offered)and if she feels ok about it do a dive with the instr.in ow....I had a student come to class with inadequate mask/fins/snorkel-really kid toy stuff that you buy at K Mart that did not fit.He refused to buy proper gear that I felt would be safe and make the learning curve easier and faster for him..I sent him home and told him that if he cannot make the commitment he was wasting his time and mine..

StephenR:
It just seems like diving is very intuitive. There are safety considerations, but especially with dive computers nowdays -- you don't need to spend months and tons of money to be competent underwater. When I got my certification, I left class every day feeling like "That was a little silly, I could've summarized that in 10 minutes." When I finally got in the water I couldn't understand what the big deal was -- after about 5 minutes of learning to efficiently adjust your buoyancy, everything else was completely natural.

I know that with the advent of online sales, training is the last way that lds' can make money... I sympathize. Really, I do! I just wish there was a less expensive way to enjoy this sport.

I don't know, man. I can understand the desire to save money, but your attitude seems to be shifting you into the "accident about to happen zone." Diving is not rocket science, but there is training involved in case there is a problem. I worry about you!

Why would you want someone you love to get in the water possibly not trained well and with not very good equipment me and my fiance just recently got certified and it was a alot of money up front we bought all of our gear(her brother gave us the certification for a wedding present) but it is a lifetime hobby and and with someone you love so do right dont regret after making shortcuts

samnewsom:
Why would you want someone you love to get in the water possibly not trained well and with not very good equipment me and my fiance just recently got certified and it was a alot of money up front we bought all of our gear(her brother gave us the certification for a wedding present) but it is a lifetime hobby and and with someone you love so do right dont regret after making shortcuts
I'll try not to take insult there, Sam. It simply comes down to the fact that diving *is not* rocket science (like a previous poster said). Safety is ABSOLUTELY important, and I would never suggest otherwise. However...

Money Spent != Safety :no

We engage in our share of high risk sports: rock climbing, vertical / horizontal caving, etc... One thing I've learned is that safety rarely comes with expensive training (even though it's sometimes a key component). It's FAR more important to: PRACTICE and have a conscientious ATTITUDE.

Only so much information can be communicated (and retained) via instruction.

Stick with what you do. I would be very hesitant to dive with you with the attitude you have. No it is not rocket scince but it is a totally unnatural act outside of the womb for a human being to breath in a liquid environment. Maybe you did take to it right off. I'd like to see a video of your buoyancy control and overall techniques. There is also the question of whether she wants to scuba or if she wants to because you want her to. If the latter she should not do it. If you really want her to get trained and enjoy it cancel the trip and spend the money on proper lessons.

StephenR:
Would it be possible to just find someone with an instructor's cert. and pay him to spend some time at one of the quarries with us? We could probably pay him $50/hr and STILL save money on the average course.

:11:

Any other ideas?

Just reread this after posting. Answer: Only if you find one willing to lose his instructor's cert and have his insurance cancelled:11: . I'd like to know where you got trained that even put an inkling that this kind of corner cutting was possible in your head:confused: !

Here in Salt Lake, the cert courses are around 265. Add another 40 for the two days of open water diving at the Crater, or free if you drive 2 hours to Blue Lake. I have helped with probably 10 classes of students, ranging from 10-12 year olds to 50 year old people. I promise, nothing is elementary about this sport. It may come easy to a lot of people, but there are a lot who struggle with it. It is not the fear of being in the water that I have seen in these few classes, its the lack of buoyancy control. Put someone in the water without the experience (training) needed and this could become a serious issue fast. I would never skimp on the training.

If you can find a cheap class, by all means go for it. Just know that you usually get what you pay for. Hopefully you find what you are looking for, and hopefully everything works out.

Back
Top Bottom