Valve drills and light signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To quote brian, "GUE is about producing thinking divers."

That's my point. How come it isn't?
Drill is just a drill. Applying it to real-life situation if something that requires thinking. If you have to get someone's attention than you will use all possible ways to get it: you'll wave while closing, you'll swim, etc. BTW closing valve does not require frantic waving. If you need brain power to close the valve and this prevents you from getting one's attention then you simply are not ready for beeing task loaded.

It's not the signalling during the valve drill, but continuing to signal for the entire drill. If you have a emergecy you need to get your team's attention, once you have it why keep signaling? They are already looking at you. Hence wave the light until they look at you, but the more important skill is to shut down the valve without much thought and maintain team awareness.

The valve drill is a drill. It's sole purpose is to teach you how to manipulate your valves efficiently as possible. It has nothing what so ever to do with valve failure and valve failure simulations.

You don't signal during the entire drill, only when you are shutting down a valve. If you shut down your valve don't you want to make sure your buddy knows you are shutting one down? When you watch someone doing a valve drill them signally helps you as much as them as it helps you track what is shut down and what isn't. Even though it is a drill you are still causing a potential critical issue since you are really shutting down the gas you are breathing.

A failure is different... I get bubbles from my right post. I assume its right post failure so I begin shutting down while flashing out of air with my light. Once I'm done shutting down I switch to backup. Hopefully my buddy caught my signal and sees me shutting my post and understand whats going on. At this point I'm pointing him and pointing back to my right post saying; "hey buddy look at whats going on with my right post" (really if I have to tell a buddy to look at my post after he sees me shutting it down I'm going to get worried) From this point on until he tells me my right post is good or its broke I am not touching anything.

You guys are trying to lump valve drills in with valve failures scenarios. Its two different things.

Drills are for muscle memory not for building troubleshooting skills... thats what the internet is for. :wink:

You ole school fundies guys are scaring me. I think the kool-aid has worn off. :D

By the way Tom, I don't know if you got a pass or a provisional way back when but if it is a provisional Steve is coming out sometime in June so you might want to see if you can make it an up to date tech pass. If we all get tech passes and there is enough interest we could get someone out here for a Tech 1 class. I imagine you've been doing more advance stuff with Sherm so it might be a waste. I'm not sure how interesting that sounds to you at this point. :D

The valve drill is a drill. It's sole purpose is to teach you how to manipulate your valves efficiently as possible. It has nothing what so ever to do with valve failure and valve failure simulations.
So why the light?

You don't signal during the entire drill, only when you are shutting down a valve. If you shut down your valve don't you want to make sure your buddy knows you are shutting one down? When you watch someone doing a valve drill them signally helps you as much as them as it helps you track what is shut down and what isn't. Even though it is a drill you are still causing a potential critical issue since you are really shutting down the gas you are breathing.
Hence purging regs at the end of each valve drill and a flow check once the drill is complete.

A failure is different... I get bubbles from my right post. I assume its right post failure so I begin shutting down while flashing out of air with my light. Once I'm done shutting down I switch to backup. Hopefully my buddy caught my signal and sees me shutting my post and understand whats going on. At this point I'm pointing him and pointing back to my right post saying; "hey buddy look at whats going on with my right post" (really if I have to tell a buddy to look at my post after he sees me shutting it down I'm going to get worried) From this point on until he tells me my right post is good or its broke I am not touching anything.

You guys are trying to lump valve drills in with valve failures scenarios. Its two different things.

Drills are for muscle memory not for building troubleshooting skills... thats what the internet is for. :wink:
That's where I do all my diving. :crafty:

You ole school fundies guys are scaring me. I think the kool-aid has worn off. :D

By the way Tom, I don't know if you got a pass or a provisional way back when but if it is a provisional Steve is coming out sometime in June so you might want to see if you can make it an up to date tech pass. If we all get tech passes and there is enough interest we could get someone out here for a Tech 1 class. I imagine you've been doing more advance stuff with Sherm so it might be a waste. I'm not sure how interesting that sounds to you at this point. :D

I got my pass before there was the tech or rec option. Although my experation date just passed..........:eyebrow: Mark, you should come out for the tweaks that we are doing on thurs, it's a good time.

So why the light?

To make sure my buddy is tracking my shut down process and to stress the need to signal when shutting down.

That's where I do all my diving. :crafty:

I have over one thousand logged internet dives.

I got my pass before there was the tech or rec option. Although my experation date just passed..........:eyebrow: Mark, you should come out for the tweaks that we are doing on thurs, it's a good time.

If GUE has you on file you could probably have Steve do a re-eval if he does stop by. Im desperate to get more potential people for Tech 1 because I have a feeling Sherm will pass :D

Eventually I will figure out a way to join you guys on Thursday. I still have some logistical issues getting doubles filled so once I get that worked out I'll start joining you guys.

What's Steve coming out for? Another Fundies class? I thought a valve drill is where you take a powertool to the manifold...?

Damn I missed all the fun over here :lotsalove:

Per the official protocol, I dutifully signal with my light whenever I'm shutting down a post. But since I'm looking right at my teammates and they are looking at me, I do so reallllyy slowly :mooner:

Per the official protocol, I dutifully signal with my light whenever I'm shutting down a post. But since I'm looking right at my teammates and they are looking at me, I do so reallllyy slowly :mooner:
Doesen´t that build the wrong kind of muscle-memory? :wink:

What's Steve coming out for? Another Fundies class? I thought a valve drill is where you take a powertool to the manifold...?

Supposedly he is stopping over for a few days on his way to Australia.

Sherm, I just got back from a dive with Matt, Chris, Andy, and Fish. It was a pretty nice ledge starting at 150ish and dropping to 190. Me and Matt scootered it. We scootered 15 mins along it and it kept going. Looks like 1/3 of a mile long. It's a really nice site. You would have loved it.

Cool,

Now if you guys could just stop breaking or flooding your scooters I could actually rent 4 of them...maybe I would have loved it maybe I wouldn't have. Then again I didn't get a "cool boys club" invite so how would I have known :) Oh yeah, I was off all day tuesday too...did Matt and Chris both use their inspo rebreathers? Did they do a valve drill on them...(of course while flashing their lights continiously)? (I am going to have to practice that soon...).

Now do you start your flashing motion from the left post to the right post or from the right post to the left, curious minds want to know.

Last edited:
Doesen´t that build the wrong kind of muscle-memory? :wink:

Why? Its not an emergency, its a valve drill. And even if it were a post or manifold failure, its still not an emergency. Once they are looking at me, I would prefer to stop signalling. That would provide an opportunity to signal anew if something else is wrong. But I understand the point of the drill.

Slowwwwly is my personal compromise :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom