Valve drills and light signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everybody,

Thanks for the discussion on this issue. At the end of the day I just wanted to raise awareness to the fact that over drilling can have a negative impact. The waving your hand with a no light in it is one example. Another example is executing a perfect air share (donate, switch, flash ok, untuck long hose, unclip spg, bring over shoulder, check gas, show spg to buddy,....where's my buddy? Floating on the surface.) Too much focus on perfectly executing a procedure rather then achieving what the procedure is supposed to accomplish. In the first case positive communication with your buddy. In the second case, gas for your buddy. Both of these I have witnessed.

I believe the emphasis in many of today's classes to be on executing the perfect procedure. In preparation for these classes students are over drilling and in the end are failing to think.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Everybody,

Thanks for the discussion on this issue. At the end of the day I just wanted to raise awareness to the fact that over drilling can have a negative impact. The waving your hand with a no light in it is one example. Another example is executing a perfect air share (donate, switch, flash ok, untuck long hose, unclip spg, bring over shoulder, check gas, show spg to buddy,....where's my buddy? Floating on the surface.) Too much focus on perfectly executing a procedure rather then achieving what the procedure is supposed to accomplish. In the first case positive communication with your buddy. In the second case, gas for your buddy. Both of these I have witnessed.

I believe the emphasis in many of today's classes to be on executing the perfect procedure. In preparation for these classes students are over drilling and in the end are failing to think.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Now go take fundies :lotsalove: lol

What is "overdrilling" for OW in Monterey (and here in the PNW) I can assure you is downright "sloppy" for 6ft deep drills in a cenote basin.

FYI, you no longer check and show your pressure gauge on a OOA drill.

Cool,

Now if you guys could just stop breaking or flooding your scooters I could actually rent 4 of them...maybe I would have loved it maybe I wouldn't have. Then again I didn't get a "cool boys club" invite so how would I have known :) Oh yeah, I was off all day tuesday too...did Matt and Chris both use their inspo rebreathers? Did they do a valve drill on them...(of course while flashing their lights continiously)? (I am going to have to practice that soon...).

Now do you start your flashing motion from the left post to the right post or from the right post to the left, curious minds want to know.

I invited you... in the Texas forum:lotsalove:

Why would you think Matt had a rebreather? I thought you were the next one ordering a box of death?

FYI, you no longer check and show your pressure gauge on a OOA drill.

East Coast or West Coast :)?

I invited you... in the Texas forum:lotsalove:

Why would you think Matt had a rebreather? I thought you were the next one ordering a box of death?

Because that's what Darren told me? I guess I was wrong, damn. So I guess it was only 1 RB diver then in your greater (2 teams of 2?) "team" :) You are worried about continious signalling vs non-continious and checking the SPG after the drill vs not, which are all small subtle things that any thinking diver should really care less about (as long as it is thought through)...where does diving with a RB diver to 150-190' in the team rank in those issues :)?

Not a slam at all and I will have some vested interest in the future as you alluded to earlier, but I will I'll stop on that thought...even though I have integration questions along this line (I'll PM you)...but I want this thread to stay in the DIR forum :)

Awaiting the wrath of JeffG

Last edited:
East Coast or West Coast :)?

Because that's what Darren told me? I guess I was wrong, damn. So I guess it was only 1 RB diver then in your greater (2 teams of 2?) "team" :) You are worried about continious signalling vs non-continious and checking the SPG after the drill vs not, which are all small subtle things that any thinking diver should really care less about (as long as it is thought through)...where does diving with a RB diver to 150-190' in the team rank in those issues :)?

Not a slam at all and I will have some vested interest in the future as you alluded to earlier, but I will I'll stop on that thought...even though I have integration questions along this line (I'll PM you)...but I want this thread to stay in the DIR forum :)

Taking it to PM as someone obviously pi$$ed in your coffee this morning.

yup, my cat...and I got all mad about it, saw this post and just wanted to get all mean :wink:

All I was trying to say is that the bottom line is, don't just do it because someone told you to, think about it and if it makes sense and you and your teammate mutually agree...well then it's probably ok. Obviously it didn't come across as such...sorry.

Oh, and per our PMs Mark has been absolved of the sin of potentially diving with a dude with that "contraption of death" on his back...we're all a happy family again. Let's all dress up in black and go diving shall we :)?

Last edited:
Per our PM I think the difference in opinion on the nick picking of drills and procedures does come down to the fact that DIR doesn’t necessarily equate to GUE.

I always equate to GUE standards as that is what I was taught as opposed to someone taught by AG either pre or post split.

The funny thing is that anyone that doesn’t have unified dive training or "DIR" training wouldn’t see any difference. They would only see divers in black with big lights and deco bottles on the left.

This debate must look funny from the outside :)

Is this the place where I say that I have dove with RB's (and even tried a Meg) ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom