Velcro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A simple question for you all-knowing, experienced divers:

How do you clean (brush) Velcro?

I have a older, used BCD and noticed (in photos) that my tank-strap was un-Velcroed during my dive...Dangerous...As a friend said "One SNAP away from losing my tank!

Thanks!

The "hook" side or the "loop" side? For the hook side, I've used a light wire "toothbrush" to clean out crud and built-up lint, etc. Gun barrel cleaning brushes work, too, but they're harder to hold. I've not had the ocassion to clean a loop side.

Hand wash the loop side (the soft fuzzy side) with Woolite in warm water and use a soft bristle brush to break up any of those crusties. I use an old toothbrush. It brings back that softness.

If the knap is'nt soft and fluffy anymore, or its pulling out you need to get a new strap, or replace the loop area yourself by sewing in a new piece in.

velcro won't last forever. so cleaning may not even do the trick anymore. i wonder what you could do then. sewing on a new velcro patch does not sound like a lot of fun. maybe you could make something like a loop out of surgical tubing, bungee cord etc and just slide the flapping piece through. would work like a belt loop. just an untested idea. definitely not DIR.

To my mind the most usfull inventions ever.
Velcro fluffs and then its passed its prime
Either replace the whole stap.
Or simpler go to a tarp and tent dealer/manufacturer
and get them to remove and renew the velcro.
Or you can do it yourself my wifes domestic sewing machine has done some amazing repairs to gear.
Howard.

Problems with hook and loop closures (the company is only happy to shame us for using "Velcro" as a generic term) usually stem from clogged hooks, e.g., fuzz, lint, threads, etc. stuck in between the hooks, preventing the loops from "connecting." They usually rejuvinate quite well if you carefully clean all of the stuff out of the hook side. Brushes will sometimes work, but I still find the most effective way to do it is with your fingers. It takes a while to pull all of the crud out this way, but it does the trick quite nicely.

As an aside, Velcro also recommends that you launder and store their products fastened to prevent the hooks from becoming clogged. :)

:thumb:
Thank you!
I will try all of your suggestions, starting with CLEANING...If that doesn't work, then will progress to replacement...
I have a sewing machine that will stitch through denim, which should allow me to stitch up new Velcro on the strap...
I'll give it a shot...
The vest is OLD, but worth repairing!

Thanks again...
Mermaid N

If you replace the velcro be sure to get an industrial grade...not the normal weak stuff you can buy in a fabric shop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom