Veo 2 vs V-planner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

degraziad

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I spearfish commercially on the east coast of Florida and a lot of our diving is in the 80-100 ft depths and done on 34% mixes, 4-5 tanks a day.
But at times the fish are further offshore and we dive in the 150-180 ft range. Up to this point I have dove with a veo 2. Typically I can get in 2 short dives (roughly 5 minutes) to shoot a couple fish in 150-180’ and we then move inshore for the rest of the day, so as to stay in the range of what my computer is allowing me.
I recently downloaded V-planner and if I am inputting everything correctly, which I believe I am, it is showing drastically different results than what my computer currently allows.
For example, if I put in 7 minute dives on 25% nitrox to a depth of 170’, it basically shows that i could do as many dives as I want with a 1 hour surface interval with only a couple short deco stops each time.

So, I guess my question is, is my current computer really that conservative or is V-planner that liberal, or am I just inputting something wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on how you have v-planner set up. The software will do pretty much what you tell it to allow you to do. Including put yourself at serious risk of injury. My version of v planner will not allow a 7 minute dive with my settings. Insufficient time for ascent/descent. Descent time starts when you leave the surface.
Basically what you are doing is bounce dives.
I changed the setting to allow me to do these dives.
No way would I do it.
The Po2 for the dive is at 1.5. Doing what you're doing it is a working Po2 rate. I keep my Po2 below 1.3 for working dives.
At +3 conservatism it starts to require deco stops. OTU's and CNS loading also need to be tracked. And these are with 60ft per minute ascent and descent rates. 30 is what's recommended.
Too risky for me.

Thank you for the response, exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

I have the conservatism set to 2. I also should have specified that my true bottom time would only be 5:18 on the settings I have input...bounce dives yes. These dives are on scattered ledge and rock piles that are more or less to work a small area, shoot a couple fish, then move to the next pile.
And like I said, I have never dove the profile of 5 drops in 170’ on 25%. I am more or less just trying to get some opinion on whether my veo 2 is “shorting” me in a sense, and if there is a happy medium in there somewhere to potentially extend my overall bottom time to work these depths in a day.

While I’m at it, another question is that I was always under the impression that even if you meet your deco stop requirements to “clear” yourself for the surface, that you would still have loading that would require a longer surface interval than the previous, to repeat the same dive. But V-planner does not necessarily show this. It more or less shows that with a 1 hour interval, this dive can be repeated (as long as the couple of deco stops are made) multiple times without a longer surface interval requirement prior to each dive. Am I way off base with how I’m interpreting this?

Your Veo 2 runs DSAT, V-planner is VPM, they have nothing to do with one another, no planning

Perhaps consider computer/planner running the same deco algorithm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom