Very Interesting Article.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys thanks for taking the time to read the article. I just thought it was interesting and wanted to show it to people.

An attempt at recovering a body at that depth should not have been made.
Well ya, but the same thing could probably be said about any of his dives. These dare-devil divers only do things that "should not have been done". I'm sure many people said the same thing about using a rebreather to that depth.

In reading that, it didn't sound as though it was impossible and he probably would have succeeded it if it weren't for the body floating (or had he realized that the body would float to the surface on its own). He knew the risks, made a mistake, and it cost him his life. RIP.

hey i just wanted to thank you guys for actually reading it. I know its long but its worth the time.

Great article, great story, Go get the book "Raising the Dead" bt Philip Finch, it goes a little more in depth.

If anyone is really interested, the paper reviewing the fatality is online:

Mitchell SJ, Cronjé FJ, Meintjes WAJ, Britz HC. Fatal respiratory failure during a “technical” rebreather dive at extreme pressure. Aviat Space Environ Med 2007; 78:81-86.

Simon also presented this fatality along with a step by step review of the video at the DAN Tech Conference last year while talking about diving and respiration. That can be downloaded here.

For those interested, this article are excerpts from the book "Diving into Darkness." This book is just as compelling a story as the article and will suck you in. If you have ever read "Shadow Divers" or "The Last Dive" and have enjoyed those books, then you will definitely enjoy this book.

One of the network tv news magazines did a documentary that was very good. I cant remember which one but I know it wasn't Nightline. Insider? This was about four years ago... I DVR'ed it and burnt it to DVD. I'm sure I still have it somewhere. I recall looking for an online version but never found it anywhere. I wonder if someone could convert it to mp3 and post it somewhere without stiring up too much trouble with the copyright police?

HMMM.......

Last edited:
I read some book reviews about another book that was released in the UK last year relating David Shaw's death which was a great deal more critical about Shaw and Don Shirley, their motives and the operation.

The gist of it seemed to be that they were asking for trouble for all the wrong reasons, and they ended up getting what they asked for.

I didn't buy the book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom