Very strange thread -- would you dive with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why would anybody think I was intimidating? I don't get it.

Have you seen your avatar?

On a serious note.

There is hardly anyone around here I would not dive with. I am a new diver with just over 100 dives since June of 2008. I worked hard to get better. One of my instructors once asked me in experience level where do I rate myself. I told him that I rate myself one step above entry level. I still find myself fumble from time to time and still need to work on my trim and propulsion. But overall I am finally finding my dives enjoyable. Especially when I can dive with someone who dives slow. I do not like to dive with someone who sprints underwater.

I'll even dive with a sprinter at least twice. First to realize (s)he is a sprinter and tell them to slow down and second to see if they've listened. If they didn't listen I will move on. Pacificgal is great example for me. A wonderful buddy I've met in Monterey, CA! She was so excited to show me so many things that she run back and forth around trying to find and show me things. What she didn't realize is that most of my dives are in a quarry so not much to see compared to just about any ocean dive spot. Once I told her that we did WONDERFUL dives off the boat the next day. On the other hand liveaboard in Thailand was another story. Those guides (from DMs to Instructors) were pretty much speed daemons! I did not like that and after a while I pretty much did a "s***w this I am slowing down and don't care where you speed to" approach (had a pony bottle as my buddy).

So if I ever end up in Seattle area I am bringing my gear and hope we can do a dive or two there!

As for this weekend, I am flying early for work on Mon-Tue so I can hopefully do a Saturday afternoon dive and Sunday boat dives and dragging my gear! :)

I am a newer diver TS and M, and if your travels ever find you in NC, I hope you will dive with me. I suspect I could learn a lot from you.

Where in NC?

Hey, if you guys want to fight, fight with me.

But it's hard, because I'm not real willing to fight.

HH, you're entitled to your opinion of me, although I think it may have been tacky to have voiced it here. The fact is, the thread was an attempt to attract the attention of some new divers, because I hadn't managed to dive with any in quite a while. Maybe there was a better way to do it, but this one worked.
That's all I see in your original, and subsequent posts .. a desire to dive with more new divers.

That's what I meant by it was interesting to see what some people thought they were "seeing" by what only must be reading between the lines of your posts

Lynne, when I responded to your original post pages ago, I kinda gave you a hard time... Halfway joking, "I dunno... What do you think you could bring to the team?"

I interview new employees often, as turnover rates for commercial divers is high. Thus, I gave you a canned response.

In watching your decision-making process during this thread, and the way that you develop judgement in situations, I would have to say, without a doubt, I would dive with you. :)

You seem remarkably level-headed and poised. If your dive style emulates that, then clearly you'd be an excellent dive buddy. :)

Lynne;

You and Peter and Bob and I would be like a dream come true. Wish I could plan a trip to Seattle, I would love to dive with you. I am certain that because of your experience and how critical you are of your diving, that many divers are certain that you demand perfection rather then view each dive as a exercise.

I approach everything I do from a learning stand-point. Today at work I will be doing this and expect to be able to include trying this. My lastest dive challenges have been working diligently to acheive more bottom time through better breathing while keeping trim more horizontal and limiting my changes in the vertical column.

I would love to dive with you.

Ya know, you can often tell a person's character by the people who associate with them.
HEY!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!?!?!?!

i associate with larry - what are you insinuating?

i take offense at what you said!!

Jag

PS
sure - hide behind your mod-ness or ban me... jerk

PS2
sorry to derail your thread lynne... it's white knights like rick with their lances up their twats are what truly pisses me off and makes me not want to dive with him

I sugest you report it if you find offense ... not to post back and forth in Lynne's thread

EDIT: never mind, I've already done so ... I'm sure that his, HH, and probably yours and my posts will be deleated ... at least I hope so

WOW.......I am gonna need more :popcorn:.

I am amazed at how easily some people go off. The fact that friends of a poster would jump in screaming is quite humorous. FTR, I felt the same way as some about the original post however felt it better to not say anything in here because Lynne has too much grace and character to do what it seemed. I wrote it off to being a poorly worded (IMO not yours) post that I was misinterpereting.

Lynne, other than the post that started this (now volatile :D) thread, I have never questioned anything about your character or person, so I would be glad to learn some stuff by diving with you.

Where in NC?

I live in Raleigh iztok, and dive primarily out of Morehead when I am not traveling.

My short term memory loss has struck again and have completely forgotten any profanities in posts from the other day.....The post I was referring to was by DumpsterDiver which I read as a defense to TSandM (although a bit sarcastic)....

As devils advocate to HH, I don't believe the threads should be censored and opinions swept under the rug. I do however think your really close to making it a personal attack on TSandM's character.........

Scuba in Chicago, the post I was referring to was not made by DD, but it probably isn't too hard to guess who did make it. I'm glad you missed it. It was a personal attack, full of the type of profanity which well raised people do not use, and atrocious by any standard of decency.

Would YOU dive with me? And if not, why not?

Me, Saspotato and a few others are doing a night dive Thursday.

Let me know what time your flight gets in! :D

BTW. Keep the avatar, there's only a few of us with really cool ones. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom