Very strange thread -- would you dive with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you find out what their concerns were?

Maybe they are things not so obvious.

In the last week, I've had three different people tell me that they were glad to have finally gotten to dive with me, because previously they were afraid to.

Afraid to? Afraid to dive with ME? Good heavens.

But now I'm beginning to understand why I keep offering to dive with new divers and nobody takes me up on it.

Would YOU dive with me? And if not, why not?

No. And I'll tell you why not.

Because of this thread.

I've often felt that SBers are far too polite, and the sycophantic replies to this self-serving post are good testament to that opinion.

What did you expect to get by way of an answer to such a leading question?

Somebody saying "well gosh, I'm afraid to dive with you because, well, you're DIR and I'm just a little stroke and erm, you're also a moderator on the world's biggest SCUBA internet forum and have like 20,000 posts on it and a following of, like 10,000 minions to praise your every word, and good God, I'm not worthy to even be in your presence, O mighty diving oracle..."?

Quite frankly, the faux-modest tone of your post reeks to me of egotism.

And - as I've just found out - I can't even put you on ignore because you're a mod :depressed:

:dropmouth: WOW Rough up there! TSandM yes I would dive with you. I'm not easily intimidated by knowledgable people, in fact, I choose to surround myself with them.

Hammerhead:
And - as I've just found out - I can't even put you on ignore because you're a mod :depressed:

Wow, you've got a tough life.

Well, after seeing hammerhead's post, I went back and read the first couple pages of the thread. (including at least one of Lynn's follow up posts) I can certainly understand how he came to some of his conclusions.

I like a lot of Lynn's threads. In hind sight this one did seem to dangle bait to catch a compliment or two. LOL

Flame suit on. :)

Yeah, no doubt that was a tough post! I thought *I* was rough on her. :)

Sheesh. :)

For what it's worth, I didn't think she was trolling for compliments - I thought she was genuinely wondering, "Why do people flake when they're supposed to dive with me?"

I think there's a lot to be said about a female diver... Especially one that's DIR. A rare breed, for sure, and very attractive to us DIR men. :)

That said, I think there might be a slight "intimidation factor" in a DIR woman to most men. For that matter, any "scuba woman" has to admit that some men consider diving "macho" (there's current threads about it now) or at least USED to consider it macho... So a female that's got her stuff together - one that's "squared away" as it's been referred to... Well, yeah, I can see that as possibly intimidating to some men.

Not all, mind you... I happen to think it's a very attractive trait. My wife is DIR. She's also a retired Gunnery Sergeant from the Marine Corps, a mother of four, and was awarded many "sharpshooter" awards when she was in the service. She's also my best friend, and smokin' fine if I do say so myself... :) http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org/kym

Kinda like dating Angelena Jolie in "Tomb Raider" or "Meet The Smiths." :)

"Intimidating?" Yeah, I understand that... Although I find that characteristic attractive. Many men don't, and rarely do women, either.

I told her before that if she dumped the intimidating-looking avatar, she might see a change in people's perspective, but she has apparently decided to keep it.

...Which is cool. :) And "hot" in an odd way. :)

Because of this thread.

I've often felt that SBers are far too polite, and the sycophantic replies to this self-serving post are good testament to that opinion.

Somebody saying "well gosh, I'm afraid to dive with you because, well, you're DIR and I'm just a little stroke and erm, you're also a moderator on the world's biggest SCUBA internet forum and have like 20,000 posts on it and a following of, like 10,000 minions to praise your every word, and good God, I'm not worthy to even be in your presence, O mighty diving oracle..."?

LMFAO. :rofl3:

Interesting, the reactions that a thread I posted out of real bafflement as to why I haven't managed to dive with a new diver in a long time draws out of people.

It was fun to read the complimentary responses, but the important thing about the thread is that I met two new divers as a result of it, and that was the point.

I'm still looking forward to diving with you, Lynn. BTW, the next "dive medicine" meeting is in Curacao June 26 - July 2nd. It's being put on by the group at Long Beach Memorial Hospital. If you and Peter are interested, let me know and I'll forward you the info.

Doug

Because of this thread.

:rofl3: Love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom