Very worried and Nervous about Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wilder

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I decided to start scuba diving a few weeks ago at a local PADI certified dive shop. Up to this point I have never even snorkled before. I went to my first session and did the first two hours of in class and thought that this would be a new and unique experience that I would enjoy. As soon as I got into the pool with all my gear on I found that I am quite clausterphobic underwater and cannot stay down for very much time at all. I just feel like I have to come up for some real air. Another problem I have encountered is that I am constantly breathing out of nose which in turn is filling my mask with water and is very uncomfortable. My instructor has been very pushy and is not taking any extra time with me. This has strongly turned me off from wanting to continue. My second in pool class was last night and I did not go. My girlfriend loves it and is continuing to attend even under great protest that I should be sucking it up and going with her anyway. Partially I know she is right and I should give it another chance, but the bad attitude im getting from my instructor is not helping any. He has told my girlfriend that I can come back next week and catch up, but im not sure if I can mentally talk myself into it.

Are you normally comfortable in the water? If so, then you may need more time in the pool than other people. Also, you might want to consider getting private instruction (usually costs more but worth if this is something you really want to do) if you don't feel comfortable with your current instructor.

Most importantly making sure you are comfortable and you become proficient in skills is what will make diving fun. Sometimes though some people just weren't meant to dive and there is no shame in that. I would give it every chance I could before I gave up though.

Good Luck:)

I don't see any reason that you have to finish your cert with your girlfriend, even though you had planned this to be something to do togther. Take it at your own pace. Have you talked to the instructor about your concerns? Maybe you can schedule some extra pool time. Or maybe you just aren't ready for scuba and you should start with snorkeling some and working on it from there.

Maybe you can schedule some extra pool time. Or maybe you just aren't ready for scuba and you should start with snorkeling some and working on it from there.

I was already thinking the same thing. Im going to try to do some snorkeling this weekend and maybe that will help gauge whether I want to go back or not.

One of the most important things you can ever learn in diveing is that you have a right to not to dive for any reason... or even no reason.

If your instrutor is pushy you need a new instructor. If feel you need extra time consider private or semi-private instruction. No one should push you to do anything your not comfortable with.

You may also considering taking a snorkeling or freediveing course and trying that for a while. With less equipment and more freedom you might be more comfortable in the water.

I'm very comfortable in the water and a proficient swimmer (even completed the bronze cross and lifeguard levels), but I was very nervous about SCUBA. I was actually a 3 time "resort course" drop-out. I'm a nose breather too so I understand your problem. I really wanted to get certified and through diving friends found a shop that doesn't rush you and if you really want to get certified, they'll give you extra pool sessions and even put an extra instructor in the water to work with smaller groups of nervous students. I had to do the first pool session twice, and I had a total of 4 extra pool sessions. I was not the only one. I even went back for an extra review pool session after I got my OW before I went on my first trip after doing my check out dives. This was encouraged by the shop and was no extra cost.

All I can say is, don't feel bad. You are not the first or last student to have trouble with getting used to the feeling of SCUBA. If you want to learn, talk to the instructor out of class and explain your feelings. A good instructor (or shop since they set the rules for their staff) will work with you at your pace even if it means a couple extra pool sessions. Do not let them rush you. I found that by my 3rd pool session I was really comfortable. IF you want to dive, I'd try and get in the pool at least once more. If you still feel it's just not for you, then don't continue.

I think I should at least attempt it one more time. Although it is going to be kind of embarassing going back to the class and having to answer everyones questions or dealing with strange looks.

Dont be embarrasseed to return to class, there are many valid reasons for you to have missed a class and know one will ever know why you were not there. I would definatly try to get some snorkel practice in before your next pool session. Breathing out your nose is not all that bad, I do it every once in a while just for fun.If you do it in a slow controlled manner it should not allow water in the mask. You just need to stay aware of your breathing. If scuba is not for you then dont sweat it, you can try it again later or you can stick with snorkeling. The worst thing you could do is put yourself in a dangerous position because of pride. Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know the outcome.

If you don't feel comfortable with the instructor find a new one, find a new store if you have to.

If you're not ok with him, you won't be feeling ok in the pool or in the ocean and it could turn you off completely.

My wife and I started together she didn't like the instr. He was pushy also, and had this attitude that he was gods gift to scuba. She decided to not finish the course (she did get swimmer ear in the pool). I just ignored his attitude and stuck close to the DM who was very cool. That was 3 years ago and she has yet to go back.

Don't let that happen to you.

Back
Top Bottom