Very worried and Nervous about Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't feel bad about your troubles, I went through something very similar.

I actually made it all the way through the pool sessions (which I honestly believe I shouldn't have passed) and decided not to do the open water dives. The instructor was a bit new and he wasn't taking the time necessary to make most of us feel comfortable. When it came time to hop in the ocean, I knew I wouldn't feel comfortable enough and I opted out. That situation caused me to give up on the idea of diving.

About a year and a half later, I started thinking more about it and I thought it may have more to do with the instructor than it had to do with me. So, I went to another shop, spoke with the new instructor about my feelings and he assured me he would take the time to make me feel comfortable. The classes went great, I was still a little nervous (as are most new divers), but the classes went great. When we did our first open water dive, I was SO nervous, but as soon as I was at depth and started looking around, everything became instantly comfortable.

That was almost 3 years ago now and I couldn't be happier that I went back and gave it another shop. The instructor made all of the difference for me!

For people who are Claustrophobic and are "wanting" to dive, trying a full face mask like the AGA, Neptune or Poseidon can be a big help.

Reasoning being that is it allows them to breath naturally and be more comfortable. Being more open, they also reduce the visual effect of diving with smaller conventional mask.

TX65 once bubbled...
For people who are Claustrophobic and are "wanting" to dive, trying a full face mask like the AGA, Neptune or Poseidon can be a big help.

Reasoning being that is it allows them to breath naturally and be more comfortable. Being more open, they also reduce the visual effect of diving with smaller conventional mask.

Sure! And with a CCR, they won't be bothered by those nasty bubbles.

:eek:ut:

Well I went back and it wasn't a whole lot better. The instructor is just as pushy and almost seems to dislike me more knowing now that I don't like him. Im going to continue with the inclass sessions and not return to the pool sessions. I will have to find another instructor to do my open water with.

Sorry to hear about the tough time you are having, I am having the same problem.

I did not finish the second confined pool day because my ears were killing me from not being able to clear them the day before. I told the insturctor I would have to re-schedule for another day and got the cold shoulder from him. He went to the head guy and they said I would have to do private lessons.

To be honest I feel extremely claustophobic under water, all I can think about when I am underwater is getting to the surface. Its kind of odd since I enjoy swimming underwater in a pool and was stationed on a Sub in the Navy.

I am strongly thinking about holding off for now finishing the class and just sticking to snorkeling.

steve, wilder - sorry you're having trouble with your instructors. I know it sucks. It's very irritating when instructors like that get away with not teaching especially since you paid for the classes. The worst thing is that it leaves you feeling like crap and wondering if its really you. DON"T. It's not just you, it's the instructor. You would most likely feel a lot better if you changed instructors and took private lessons. It worked with me. Speak with whomever is in charge and get them to give you what you need - new instructor, more time and pay a little extra for private classes if necessary but ONLY if you have a new instructor. And ONLY if you meet the instructor and feel comfortable with him/her. My experience is once you hit it off badly with one instructor, you can't recover. If you really wanted to try diving, don't bum on this experience. You will feel better with a more relaxed and patient instructor. Good luck.

Wilder - It's great to see that everyone in here is so supportive of you and what you are endeavoring to do--and with good reason. Some have made a very important point that I think needs elaboration: Scuba is FUN! I am newly certified as of this past weekend, and I absolutely cannot wait for my first "real" dive next week. But the point is the fun. This is not a promotion that you're going for. This is not going to court for a traffic ticket. This is not the dentist's office! Take it to it's base level: what you are doing in diving is exploring the 70% of our planet about which we know less than the surface of the moon. Think about that! It's absolutely A1, unbelievably incredible down there! My instructor told us about a river dive in Oregon during the salmon runs. He compared it to sitting in the middle of the interstate at rush hour with cars rushing past--except that you know you won't get hit, and the cars are fish!

The overwhelming majority of society will never, ever experience what you are about accomplish. Focusing on the infinite pleasure and rewards of diving might make it much easier to look past the unpleasant experience you are having, which has severely less to do with you and much more to do with someone who isn't doing his/her job. It's easy to look past what you're doing it for and focus on the negatives!

When you get your card and if you end up in Boston, give me a shout and we'll dive!

Brian

You guys are great and very supportive. This is one of the most helpful forums I have ever joined. I am definately not giving up and will go on to finish the course and get my OW. Not with my current instructor but I will find someone that works for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom