Very worried and Nervous about Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well im feeling much better and have a new motivation. I went to West Lake Ontario today. For those of you who are unfamiliar it is a sandy bottom lake with tons of dunes and sand bars. I did a tonne of snorkeling in about 12 - 15 feet of water. I think ive got the nose breathing thing killed and im feeling much more comfortable. Thanks for all the moral support from everyone.

Having the wrong instructor is something that can really get in the way of successful training. Been there, done that. The first thing to do is to try to talk to that instructor about the problem... if that doesn't work or you aren't satisfied with the result, talk to the shop about joining another class. You have paid the fees, and they will be open to letting you go into another class.

Extended or extra pool time is sometimes needed to get a new diver comfortable. Shops are USED to that... they see it all the time.

That said, diving isn't for everyone. If you are motivated to overcome the claustraphobia by working in the pool, then that's what you'll do. I know folks who've succeeded and some who decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Either way, it's your call.

Good luck and I hope if you decide to join the SCUBA crowd you'll find all the pleasures will be worth the training time... I know I did.

Ginger

Wilder - I'm glad you found your new motivation to give it a try again. Just wanted to say, my husband and I have been there as well. We had a terrible experience with our first instructor on a resort dive (discover scuba). And even when we took our OW course, the instructor also tried rushing us. Bottom line is YOU have to make it happen. You can take the experience as a challenge or you can let it psyche you out. Unfortunately, its hard to find good instructors so YOU have to force the instructor to take more time with you, despite his attitude and YOU have to look for additional time in the pool either with this instructor or with another. Look for private or semi-private lessons. Once you feel like you're not rushed or judged, you will probably feel much better. Oh - about the "claustrophobia" - if you never had that before, it's normal to feel uncomfortable underwater initially. I too felt the need to get 'real air'. With time and practice, you should feel more at ease and so long as it's not truly claustrophobia, that feeling should go away. Best of luck. But also remember, if you don't like diving, that's ok also. Just let it be your decision and not because of your experience with a bad instructor.

My open water instructor is certified to instruct and certify DiveCons. There are few better. That having been said, I feel that I got rushed through the skills in the pool without realizing my flaws in execution. I didn't get along with this guy. I had problems in my Open Water, but I trudged through it.

Now, he is my DiveCon instructor and I get along with him well. He is doing a far better job with me as an advanced instructor than he did for me as an Open Water Instructor. For the average OW student, he is a godsend. I have seen the man allow people to go many extra pool sessions with a DiveCon just swimming around with no skills involved. Why? If you aren't comfortable in the water, you can't do skills. If you can't do skills, you get frustrated and ready to quit.

It all depends on your chemistry with the instructor for that class. I hope that things go well for you. Just try to keep the above situation in the back of your mind. You will make the right decisions.

Geez, PADI instructors what do you expect.

Stick with it, SCUBA diving isn't something you should miss out on, but if your truely uncomfortable with it after trying a while then don't do it 'cause you could endanger yourself or somebody else

Wilder,
Keep trying...I witnessed the same scenario when I took my OW course with an agency (names not necessary) and the instructor felt it necessary to consistently bring a 16 yr old student to tears every pool session. She struggled with mask clearing but kept at it like a Trooper. She eventually went on to achieve her OW certification though - no thanks to him.

Take your time - its normal for this to be 'scary' in the beginning. Lets face it, man wasn't born underwater. We're a land creature.

Be sure your instructor is patient and understanding. If he/she isn't - find a new one. That can make a big differance.

Try and relax and have fun. Realize that you are not alone in some of your fears. Others may have them whether you are aware of it or not. If you truly hate it, then you can withdraw from the course - no harm in that. At least you can say you tried.

But, give yourself a chance. Work on your skills repeatedly. The better you get at them, the more 'fun' scuba becomes. And your confidence level increases.

Good luck and hats off to you for sharing your and fears with with others.

Now go get 'em!

It happens. I do it too. Do yourself a favor.

Consider a mask with a purge valve. Scubapro Catalog (2002), pp 52-53, Avalon Purge and XQ Trivent are both nice masks if they fit your face.
There are other manufacturer's products also, if you look.

One reason your mask leaks when you exhale through your nose is the air breaks the seal of the mask against your face. Purge valves prevent this.

They work pretty well for recreational scuba diving, and Scubapro offers high quality.

One other bit of unsolicited advice. If you continue to find yourself suffering from claustrophobia underwater, and if its within your means, consider doing your open water certification dives someplace where the water is warm and clear. Wearing less thermal protection, being more comfortable, and being able to see around you farther than 2-3 feet allows many such students to relax easier. Instructors on this board, such as Walter or Mike, could assist you to arrange this with little difficulty.

Doc

I agree.

When I took my first OW course (same instructor with the girl incident) he was doing check out dives in a brown lake with vis less than 4 ft. Naturally, many of us (me included) were 'rattled' by this, even though eventually we became more comfortable with this as we gained more experience. Several divers walked away that day and 'declined' to do their check out dives in those conditions. Eventually you learn that its good to be able to dive in those kinds of conditions, because things happen in diving and sometimes greta vis can become poor vis if someone stirs up the bottom and creates a 'silt out.'

But, in the beginning, having clear water and good vis makes a world of difference.

Eventually, I did my check out dives in a lake with over 25 ft vis and I'd dare say more like 50 ft vis. Made a lot of nervous people feel much better.

That agency encouraged purge valve masks as well - the Scubapro Tri-Vent, which I understand is no longer available since 2002. Its a great mask! I own one.

Just to add my .2 cents (I can say that too because we use Euros now) remember, this is a service you are PAYING for. You're not paying to be rushed through it or bullied, you're paying to be taught. The instructor should treat you as a customer and help you achieve your goal not freak you out. Good luck - I think it's great the way you worked on that nose breathing thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom