video editing program recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'll be checking my video card and maybe adding some RAM. My quad core PC has 3G of memory so more might help. Another question. I'm not all that puter savvy but am always willing to experiment. Corel Ulead 11.5 has an Auto White Balance feature that saves me tons of time color correcting (can't MWB underwater). Just click AWB and then do a little tweaking. Are there any other editors with this feature? I've also tried Sony Vegas Platinum 9 and haven't figured out how to use it. Too many icons for me.

I'm not sure about other programs, but whenever I do any kind of color correction on Pinnacle, the resolution falls considerably. Its as if the program can't handle correcting so many pixels with the huge HD format, & so it ramps it down to a more managable file to correct the color, light balance, contrast etc. The opening scene in my most recent video was dark (80 or 90 ft I think), so I engaged Pinnacle to lighten it up. The color & brightness is better, but notice how grainy it is compared to the rest of the video: Cozumel Fall 2010 on Vimeo

Looks to me that when you lightened up the scene, the video noise was also lightened up making it more noticeable. There are limitations to what you can improve when editing compressed video files from camcorders.

I can give it a try on Vegas to see if the results are any better. If you are willing, upload 10-15 seconds of your raw footage from that section onto Vimeo and make it downloadable. I can then download and give it a try on Vegas, posting the results on Vimeo. No pressure, just offering.

I have tried the Vegas programs but finally settled on Magix pro 17. Does everything I want.

I'm not sure about other programs, but whenever I do any kind of color correction on Pinnacle, the resolution falls considerably. Its as if the program can't handle correcting so many pixels with the huge HD format, & so it ramps it down to a more managable file to correct the color, light balance, contrast etc. The opening scene in my most recent video was dark (80 or 90 ft I think), so I engaged Pinnacle to lighten it up. The color & brightness is better, but notice how grainy it is compared to the rest of the video: Cozumel Fall 2010 on Vimeo

Can't help you/give any advice as I'm not a videographer (one day hopefully), just wanted to say I loved your video. Soothingly amazingly beautiful. Awesome soundtrack too. I know I'll be dreaming of Paradise and Columbia and Punta Tunich tonight thanks to you.

MPEG Streamclip is a free app that you can download. It does a great job with any format and you can export each clip in any codec of your choosing. The app is bug free and a great many editors use it. Sony NLEs are not the best and if I were on a PC then I would suggest getting Edius or CS5 Premier Pro.
Steve

If you check out Steve's website, you will see he knows Shooting and Editing, Narration too Steve?.....Cool Sharks!
I agree that The $1500 and up programs he mentioned are the industry standard, however, you should go check out Sony Vegas (you get a 30 day-fullly functional free trial).......The latest version of SVPRO 10 lets you do things even these programs can't do yet. Like edit in 3D, instantly stabilize shaky clips with just a right click, and now you can import your photoshop artwork as layers and distribute them automaticaly over time or over tracks.
I got Sound Forge Audio studio for free when I upgraded, which lets me tweak those audio tracks that are giving me problems, and then they drop right back into the video timeline like they were always perfect.
If you cut your teeth on Premier, ect. you are going to be comfortable with that style of NLE, and right now there ARE more plugins available for them....but Vegas is easier to learn, is making giant strides against the competition, and you can have the Platinum version for under $100!
If you plan on going to film school go with Premier ..ect. but I garantee you won't learn everything that Vegas will do in at least a couple of years.

Thanks Firefish for the compliments. Because I write so many articles for the Final Cut Studio websites, I am given more software, plug ins and hardware from different companies than I can handle, but it keeps me learning all the time and I do love the process. Editing is extremely time consuming so you have to enjoy it despite the frequent frustrations. I do teach Final Cut Pro either in person or via iChat and while Adobe did give me their entire CS5 Master Collection I really can't say I am experienced in Premier Pro. I primarily use After Effects more than anything else.

Yes, I do do narrations and better versions of my films can be found on Vimeo than my own website. As a judge for several international film festivals I will point out that the biggest problems with many films is the lack of attention given to audio levels. Audiences will stand for less than great video but will walk out with poor audio whether the levels are too high, too low, distorted or poorly mixed. Bad audio ruins the film.

I wish I had started early enough in this business to have gone to film school but alas.
Steve

I'd say invest in a Macbook Pro, and install Final Cut. I made the change years ago and would never go back.

Thanks Firefish for the compliments. Because I write so many articles for the Final Cut Studio websites, I am given more software, plug ins and hardware from different companies than I can handle, but it keeps me learning all the time and I do love the process. Editing is extremely time consuming so you have to enjoy it despite the frequent frustrations. I do teach Final Cut Pro either in person or via iChat and while Adobe did give me their entire CS5 Master Collection I really can't say I am experienced in Premier Pro. I primarily use After Effects more than anything else.

Yes, I do do narrations and better versions of my films can be found on Vimeo than my own website. As a judge for several international film festivals I will point out that the biggest problems with many films is the lack of attention given to audio levels. Audiences will stand for less than great video but will walk out with poor audio whether the levels are too high, too low, distorted or poorly mixed. Bad audio ruins the film.

I wish I had started early enough in this business to have gone to film school but alas.
Steve

Steve,
I just got a Contour 1080p video camera with a housing ...similar question to OP, I want to be able to edit and export full 1080p video...from the final cut pro express hd website, I was under the impression it only does HDV, which is only 1080i.....on a big screen TV, 1080i does not look anywhere near as good as 1080p.
So what is out there to edit with on a mac, preferably under $500?

Thanks,
DanV

Back
Top Bottom