Vintage doubles - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several people I know of are using old Selpac Manifolds, they have on outlet between the tanks, and one on the Right Tank. I have a J Valve Selpac, that is just waiting to meet a couple of good Steel 72's.

You tanks might end up looking like this:

72ssmall.jpg

doublesfront.jpg

I reversed the tank post so that it is on the left tank and pointing backward. This way you can put on a single hose with all the do-dads without interfearance between the single and double hose regs.

I thought I'd post a close-up of the labels on the tanks. Funny reading the "rules" on the labels. Original Hydro stamp is 5/67.

Gotta love #1 - Learn to swim before attempting to dive.... DUH!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 205
Cool - that's better than any cert card - just read and jump in :D

Henrik

Is there anyone building a double set of 72's that is in need of a NOS USD twin single post manifold w/j valve? This is the ball and socket compression type, not the later O-ring sealed model. Manufacture 5-61....never used, still has the cardboard thread protector on one side.

I love my vintage twins :D The older I get the more I'm liking my old gear.
Working on a set of 72's now. Waiting on the hydro's, then paint and assemble. I'm thinking no backplate just a harness.

Attachments

• DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00022.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 115
Michael, PM sent.

So here is my new-to-me pride and joy. Thanks Mike for the deal :)

ScubaBoard Gallery - LP72 Vintage Double Tanks

Everything looks great. A bit of pitting in the chrome in the manifold, but otherwise the manifold is very clean.

The tanks have a bit of surface rust here and there, and from what I can see I don't think these tanks were galvanized originally. Should I refinish them?

The stampings on the tanks show only the original Hydro, so I should be able to get a "+" rating again when I have them hydro-ed ... right?

I may end up going with new, more solid tank bands. The ones on the tanks look interesting, but seem to have "buckled / given way" in the bridge, and the bottom band is not tight. So I may be better off with new bands.

Thanks for all the feed-back - I appreciate it. I'll update the thread with info as the project moves forward.

Henrik

OK, got the tanks/manifold apart. Everything came apart easily with soft grease still on all threads.

Now I need to find a light to get some light into the tanks to see what's going on in there. Maybe some sort of low voltage LED on thin wires powered by an external battery. Or maybe an LED rope light from Home D :)

Henrik

I've had good luck with the small, white Christmas lights. I used a strip of a tin can and glued a small mirror on it to look at the neck area by shining a flashlight onto the mirror.

I just got a couple of 40s or 45s or something that are also originally dated 1967 (I think that's what yours say) and have every confidence that they'll pass hydro and visual inspection. They look great inside and are galvanized outside with not a speck of rust or pitting. I'm also having issues with the bands and the U-Bolts that hold them on but I'm thinking some rubber inbetween the bands and the tanks might solve the problem. Please let me know what you come up with. I don't think my backpack was originally made for doubles. Anyway, the tanks are 3/4 the length of 72s and exactly the same diameter so if someone call tell me what size they are I'd appreciate it. My tanks are stamped VOIT. The original hydro has a "+" and the second has a "+" but the other two do not. I also have two old 72s ('63 and '67) and they only have a "+" on the first hydro. So far I've only had one shop fill the oldest one (which I've used a lot) to only 2250. They ALWAYS filled it to 2500 where I usually went. The weird thing is that my tanks are identical except that one is about 3/8" shorter at the neck. I wonder how that happened.

I removed the brushed-on yellow paint--it was flaking off anyway. I need to add some boots so they'll stand up and put a spacer in the short tank. Perhaps some vintage VOIT stickers would be nice. I also may have to get an oval mask and some VOIT flippers too.

twin_tanks_MV.jpg

The stampings on the tanks show only the original Hydro, so I should be able to get a "+" rating again when I have them hydro-ed ... right?

You can try, it might be a trick. Having just the original hydro doesn't have anything to do with it, you need to know the REE number. Those are Norris tanks, correct? There is a document floating around with PST REE numbers, but I don't know anything about the availability of norris REE numbers. There is a way to calculate it, but good luck finding a hydro guy that will do that. Around here, it seems most of the hydro guys are only the second or third generation in their families to walk upright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom