Vintage SCUBA Posters 're-mastered'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Just had a bit of fun on Photoshop... what do you think? :D

Retro-Aqua-Lung-Spear-Arizo.jpgRetro--1958-Aqualung-Arizon.jpgRetro-Art-Deco-Arizona-Adve.jpgRetro-Aqualung-Arizona-Adve.jpgRetro-Malboro-Arizona-Adver.jpg

I like it Andy! :D And hey, if you want to recreate scenes for photos or borrow some "old" gear, you know where to look!

These 'Posters" do nothing for me

These are not "vintage Posters." They are "vintage" book covers, a 1956 US Divers logo, an advertisement etc which have been made into posters.

The first true vintage posters were from the SDM paintings of the late John Steele which Willard Voit made into posters and boxes for his products. I would suggest that you review early SDMs and Voit products for the true vintage posters.

Never the less a step in some direction (??) and I wish you well in your endeavors

SDM

Sam... will start Googling now. I had the US Divers/Aqua Lung images already, because there's a small 'vintage' display at my friend's dive shop...and they're Aqua Lung partner center..so it made sense.

I'm going to track down some more images a play again tomorrow (got another typhoon on the way, so no bookings for the next few days).

Ed... get yourself up to Subic... Mark at Arizona has a nice little display of vintage gear, along with WWII artifacts they've salvaged from the Bay. I'm going to suggest to him running some sort of vintage divers club/get-togethers up there. Would that interest you? (Founder member? LOL)
'

Of course, now all your clients are going to expect double hoses... which would be totally awesome.

I think that is a great idea Dale. He could market it as, "A historic shipwreck dive while wearing historic dive gear". Or something like that.

they would make great t shirts in your shop

I have to agree with Sam. If you even think of making posters of some of the copy right stuff. You could get into some hot water. They might make nice t-shirts ect. I collect vintage scuba related posters,movie posters,lobby cards, and dive shop posters and scuba advertising signs. I really hate reproduction anything. But yours has a different twist. Old and new. You might have some kind of market for it. Good luck.

Cerich... not my shop, but I have mentioned how awesome they'd be as t-shirts.

Mike... yeah, I'd be the first to admit that they're not the same as 'genuine' vintage... just a new way to add some flavor to the dive shop and have a little fun. Some older clientele in that area.. many ex-military, Vietnam era... so the imagery might strike a chord. It's meant to be a bit-tongue-in-cheek... not really meant for profit.

I've just been playing around with teaching myself a bit of graphic design over the past 4 months... so this was really not much more than a hobby project and experimentation for me. Not much planned for today, so I just say on the balcony with a pitcher of ice-cold pineapple juice and played on photoshop.

Copyright is a tricky issue. All of the medias used were in the public domain and produced originally before 1978. That'd mean (if I read correctly) that they would have needed to file to renew after 28 years?

Welcome-Home-Hero-v.jpgRetro-US-Divers-Info-Sheet-.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about copyrights, as the number of vintage divers is so few that your products will be enjoyed by some and ignored by most. I am most grateful to those who do make reproductions as it makes it possible for many to get involved in the world of diving as it was in the "vintage" years. There are some "collectors" who are buying up the majority of the original items and pricing them out of the reach of most. That is fine, it's their money. So, if someone makes a correct reproduction, that is fine also. Most knowledgeable collectors know the difference between the two, and if they can't tell, too f'kn bad. Thanks for your efforts and others who make reproductions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom