Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The KISS Rebreathers Team made recovery of the body later Friday afternoon shortly before 4:30 p.m. under the advisory of MSHP investigators on the scene.
The highway patrol is the investigating agency, but I guess the team was judged to be more capable of a safe recovery. It must have been tough on the team to recover one of their own. As much as this incident is in the news, I think that the investigation results will be published in time.

The highway patrol is the investigating agency, but I guess the team was judged to be more capable of a safe recovery. It must have been tough on the team to recover one of their own. As much as this incident is in the news, I think that the investigation results will be published in time.
On dives like this it more often is the exploration team that recovers the diver. This is because they are likely the only ones nearby with the training, resources, and experience to do it. Police dive teams are rarely, if ever, able to handle recoveries beyond recreational limits. There are exceptions in places like cave country I'm sure, but even then, it's other cave divers or wreck divers who do the dirty work.

There’s also OSHA issues with cave diving.
Iirc no overhead and nothing deeper than 100 (maybe 130?) in the US

There’s also OSHA issues with cave diving.

OSHA doesn’t apply to government employees. Many government agencies voluntary apply, but for LE and fire/rescue it would be impossible to do their jobs and comply with OSHA.

OSHA doesn’t apply to government employees. Many government agencies voluntary apply, but for LE and fire/rescue it would be impossible to do their jobs and comply with OSHA.
Hm, good point, but I think the same or similar rules apply to recovery operations for public safety divers.

Hm, good point, but I think the same or similar rules apply to recovery operations for public safety divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom