Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hm, good point, but I think the same or similar rules apply to recovery operations for public safety divers.

I think it is more that most teams realize that the caves are so out of their depth. But that doesn't mean that they try sometimes. The death of that Chinese woman at Manatee had the local FD attempt the recovery until someone got them hooked up with IUCRR. A recent freediver death in Tampa (IIRC) the local agency did the recovery despite the fact that the diver died within a clear overhead.

The death of that Chinese woman at Manatee had the local FD attempt the recovery until someone got them hooked up with IUCRR.
That is a good example of why a cave recovery can require pretty serious skills. That situation was not for the average diver.

I’m surprised they’ve come out with a possible cause of death already. My friend on the exploration team posted this on FB and said it’s accurate for what they know so far.

I’m surprised they’ve come out with a possible cause of death already.
Yes, but the O2 content of his tank would be easy to check and one of the first things to check. I wonder what the mix was supposed to be and what they found.

Yes, but the O2 content of his tank would be easy to check and one of the first things to check. I wonder what the mix was supposed to be and what they found.

Making the info public so quickly was what I was referring to.

What are the ‘mini-homes’ for deco of which they speak?

What are the ‘mini-homes’ for deco of which they speak?

Some sort of big plastic bins they turned upside down to have a habitat to make king deco more comfortable.

I’m surprised they’ve come out with a possible cause of death already. My friend on the exploration team posted this on FB and said it’s accurate for what they know so far.

Shockingly refreshing to see factual evidence filtering out so early. While I am hoping to see a more in depth factual report released in the future, this will tamp down on any rumors.

Wow, that's really unfortunate. I suppose I'm stating the obvious, but this is another point towards investing in the proper equipment to test your gas-mixture, and always testing your gas, when diving with mixed-gasses.

I would generally lean towards assuming Mike Young was diving with relatively competent divers.

Back
Top Bottom