Visiting/Diving the keys in Early December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving4ever

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm heading down to Florida for 10 days at the end of July. 3 days in Clearwater (to see big cat rescue) and a week in the Keys.
While its not a *dive trip* per se, we're hoping to get in 6-8 tanks while we're there (weather permitting).
I've searched through the Forum, but I still have a few questions and would love feedback from those of you who dive the area regularly.

1. Is it worth doing a dive in Clearwater?
  2. I read a few posts that made it sounds like 6-8 foot seas would be standard in the keys during December. Are we likely to get blown out completely? If so, should I amend my plans?
  3. I'm diving with my partner who is a very new diver (> 10 dives). Can anyone reccomend the best sites to visit with a newbie. I'm thinking Mollases reef but that is just guessing really.
  4. Any not-to-be missed dives, even if they are not for a novice? If so, I may go it alone one morning (actually probably with a guide).
  5. I spent many weeks during my childhood in the dry tortugas. I'd love to go back and dive there. Are there any long range charters (other than live-aboards) that make that trip?

Feel free to share any other Florida advice. We have flights, but still need to figure our rental cars, accomodations, diving...and make a list of the best restaurants to try.

Thanks in advance!
Melissa

While 6 ft + seas are not uncommon, I think it would be more accurately said that 0-8 foot seas would be standard in the Keys during December.

Here's a few thoughts.....

2) What Billinwilliamston said..... I've had some really nice December dives in the Keys and been blown out. You just won't know about the viability of diving in the winter until a day or two before the dive is scheduled. December 2013 was really really nice in Jupiter on the weekends I went out.

3) Any of the shallow reefs are perfect for new divers. While there are a few exceptions, most dive boats have a pre-set schedule and you won't be disappointed by any of those shallow sites. New divers always love Snapper Reef because of the abundant fish life. Mike's Wreck, which is really a reef dive and some scattered wreckage, is also nice. Any list of Florida bucket list dives should include one trip to the Christ of the Abyss site but note that the reef around the statue is pretty beat up. My favorite shallow reef is Hens and Chickens but vis can be an issue if tides are wrong or wave action is bad plus not many dive ops go there.

4) Spiegel Grove, Duane and Eagle wrecks are all well worth diving. If you can only do one, make it the Spiegel Grove. I also like Conch Wall which is one of the few deeper reefs dive boats visit.

5) I've been there twice on liveaboards and it is worth seeing. I don't know from first hand experience, but the last time someone asked about day charters to the Dry Tortugas on SB, everyone indicated that there were none. You'd have to hire your own boat/captain and it'd not be cheap.

I like Mile Marker 88 resturant on Isalmorada in the evening if I can sit outside and watch the sun set because of the beautiful setting. I like any blackened fish and their blackened fish is as good as any other place's fish I've been to in Florida. The Thai green beans are good too. Some of the local Keys folks have posted bad reviews of the place, but as a tourist from a little further north in Florida, I really enjoy the once-a-year meal I get there.

Enjoy your trip and diving

Last edited:
restaurants depends on where you want to go in the keys.... I love Keys Fisheries but they are all the way down in Marathon. But if you're on your way to key west....

you can always get bad reviews of any place..... but i would check out DBPR: Home Page and check out the food & lodging inspections section for concrete info....
i don't know about you but i like to know if the chef & everybody are actually handling & preparing the food safely and whether the inspector found roaches or not

... and whether or not bedbugs, etc have been found in the hotel..

for the chocoholic --- Better than Sex is near the docks in key west...

You and your partner might try the Benwood wreck. It's an older, broken up wreck but it's very interesting and it's relatively shallow. It gives you the wreck feel at a reef depth that your partner might enjoy. Ms. Mac's restaurant in Key Largo is good. I like the feel of the original Ms. Macs, but the newer one is fine too. Tuesday night's prime rib is good. Doc's in Key Largo is good for breakfast. I like the big "truck stop" pancakes myself, but it's a good "locals" hangout. If you're going further down the Keys, the Square Grouper on Cudjoe Key has an eclectic menu that's very tasty. I think prime rib night is Thursday ( I like all kinds of food, but I think you can see a pattern here :) ). Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like we should plan for a gret dive vacation and just hope the weather cooperates. I appreciate the leads on dive sites: Benwood wreck and Snapper reef have been added to the list of possibilities! We're looking forward to trying alot of the restaurants too. The advice is most appreciated!

I am confused. Are you comming in July or December? Let's start with restaurants. I live in Islamarada and work as a paramedic in Key largo (as well as doing dive and fish charters in Islamarada. I would never recommend anyone eat at Doc's do mrs Macs. The old baby Macs isn't terrible but the new big Macs is really bad and don't eat at Docs unless you have a bathroom close by. Marker 88 is also not what it use to be. For breakfast in key largo I recommend DJs dinner or better still the conch house. For dinner try encore fish house in key largo, cafe largo or my favorite in Islamarada Chef Michaels. There many decent hotels. For Marriot fans there is a new one in Keylargo. Also a randome assortment of holiday inn, Hilton, etc.

As for diving, I would never take a "very new diver" to the spiegele or eagle, same for Duane or Bibb. Bennwood is a great intro wreck dive. It is in 25-50 feet near French reef. There are also many beautiful reef spots to see.

If you need any more help with your trip, I would be happy to assist with charters or whatever. Just send me a PM.

Dave

Conch Republic in Tavernier (Tavern-ear) took me on my favorite dives and had excellence in every way, conch wall around 55-70 feet was my favorite, most other shallow dives were 20-25ft and great reefs.

Another dive op drug their anchor all over the place and took a bunch of new divers to 70 feet to see a stirred up mess with about 10 ft viz and another fouled up dive to 90 feet see a sunken barge with a few lionfish on it. Won't be using them again!

Mike

1. Is it worth doing a dive in Clearwater?

Diving here is okay but nothing like you'll see in the keys. There are a handful of wrecks where you can see stuff like Goliath grouper.

Here's an example of Clearwater diving (not my video)
[video=youtube;DOZ4qywK39A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOZ4qywK39A[/video]
and
[video=youtube;Ewihh9rMHto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewihh9rMHto[/video]

I am confused. Are you comming in July or December?......

As for diving, I would never take a "very new diver" to the spiegele or eagle, same for Duane or Bibb. Bennwood is a great intro wreck dive. It is in 25-50 feet near French reef. There are also many beautiful reef spots to see.

If you need any more help with your trip, I would be happy to assist with charters or whatever. Just send me a PM.

Dave

Dave, Sorry about the date inconsistency. I am coming to Florida for 10 days November 27- December 6. My july dates were a mental-slip...since I'm heading to Kona in a couple weeks and that trip is very much on my mind! I appreciate all the great tips and the invitation to PM you for advise. I will likely do that as we get a little closer to our travel dates and my questions are a bit more thought through.

Everyone can rest assured, that I won't take a brand new diver on a deep or current-filled wreck dive. Actually my dive-buddy has only dove HI to date...so I really want him to see some of the color the reefs may have to offer.

And Kelemvor, thanks for the Clearwater videos.

Melissa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom