Visiting OH Frequently

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...you folks have class!

And you're in luck, we also moonlight in bridge sales. Can I interest you in a little number we recently picked up in Brooklyn? It isn't on the market yet, so we can only give you this special price for a few days. And we're offering an extended warranty for a limited time. :D

We'll see but I suspect that since I'll be diving wet it will make for some very thin neoprene in very cold water. But I may have some other options. :D

EDIT, after looking at the map going over the wall sure seems likely if not diving from the deep side. Let me get grounded and we can talk about what's in/down there.

I don't have any heartburn about a reverse profile.

Only wet rocks over there. Shear walls to about 130 feet. Semi trailer in the corner. It will be a short dive with possibly a longer sit to follow. I'll pack my pony just in case.

EDIT - I editted Spectrum's quote after he made his edit on the previous page. :wink:

TG - Steve's right, where've you been lately, haven't seen much from you in a while? Feel like diving White Star Saturday?

They were headed to Florida last Sunday, or was it Saturday. Anyway, she was last active on Facebook last night around 8PM - throwing cupcakes at everyone, no less.:10: (I hold her responsible for me having a profile on Facebook.) :D

EDIT - I checked, they were heading to Florida on Saturday. They could have been to anywhere and back by now!

Only wet rocks over there. Shear walls to about 130 feet. Semi trailer in the corner. It will be a short dive with possibly a longer sit to follow. I'll pack my pony just in case.:wink:

Deep for the sake of deep doesn't really do too much for me. It may be fun to drop over the edge a little to run the wall over deep water for a spell, none of that around here. If filing the plan to cross the line is a PITA let's just go nuts exploring the shallow side. Looks like there's plenty of stuff. I'm sure we'll dream something up.

I don't want to mess up this years :64 average dive length. :D

The gear is mostly packed, tonight will be busy.

Pete

Wow, how much air can we get out of your doubles??? I'll bring a spare octo so we can get extra. :D
LOL! In the shallows I can get 3 hours on a 3000psi (short) fill. Should I bring my 5 foot hose to put on that octo so you aren't clinging to me like a baby monkey?

Likewise to meet you!

Looks like it'll be just a little milder than what I'm leaving behind. That works, after all it will be November. I never got to dive out of a heated tent, you folks have class!

Pete

My dive buddy got me started on the heated tents. Our heaters aren't as nice as the Salamander he heats his tent with but we have small cars and he drives a cargo van LOL! Our heaters take the chill off well enough that my student from Florida enjoyed her November check-outs last year even though it snowed between dives :D Watching another group of students huddled around a pickup truck in the snow probably helped my students feel warmer in their heated tent with hot chocolate LOL!

We'll see but I suspect that since I'll be diving wet it will make for some very thin neoprene in very cold water. But I may have some other options. :D

EDIT, after looking at the map going over the wall sure seems likely if not diving from the deep side. Let me get grounded and we can talk about what's in/down there.

I don't have any heartburn about a reverse profile.

Pete

If we cross the wall we HAVE to file a deep dive plan even if we only dive to 20 feet but filing the plan isn't a terribly complicated process though Mike will probably want to see your logbook. If you're up to some snorkeling maybe we can go look for the paddlefish between dives, they hang out in the deep end but usually stay at 15 feet or so. Bubbles scare them so snorkeling is the way to see them if you can find them.

Can you say "compressed to about the thickness of a dollar bill" and "38 degree water"? The wall is cool, you look down into blackness at first which can be disconcerting. There's not a whole lot down there to keep it from being tempting for unqualified divers. I usually go there for one of three reasons, practice for an upcoming deep dive, train AOW students or find some decent vis when the visibility in the shallow side is absolutely horrible.

Deep for the sake of deep doesn't really do too much for me. It may be fun to drop over the edge a little to run the wall over deep water for a spell, none of that around here. If filing the plan to cross the line is a PITA let's just go nuts exploring the shallow side. Looks like there's plenty of stuff. I'm sure we'll dream something up.

I don't want to mess up this years :64 average dive length. :D

The gear is mostly packed, tonight will be busy.

Pete

There's a TON of stuff in the shallow side, you nearly bump into something every few feet. Once you've explored the big stuff it's time to go hunting for the little things :wink: There is a GIGANTIC Christmas tree divers can put ornaments on too if you're interested :D
Ber :lilbunny:

LOL! In the shallows I can get 3 hours on a 3000psi (short) fill. Should I bring my 5 foot hose to put on that octo so you aren't clinging to me like a baby monkey?

My dive buddy got me started on the heated tents. Our heaters aren't as nice as the Salamander he heats his tent with but we have small cars and he drives a cargo van LOL! Our heaters take the chill off well enough that my student from Florida enjoyed her November check-outs last year even though it snowed between dives :D Watching another group of students huddled around a pickup truck in the snow probably helped my students feel warmer in their heated tent with hot chocolate LOL!

If we cross the wall we HAVE to file a deep dive plan even if we only dive to 20 feet but filing the plan isn't a terribly complicated process though Mike will probably want to see your logbook. If you're up to some snorkeling maybe we can go look for the paddlefish between dives, they hang out in the deep end but usually stay at 15 feet or so. Bubbles scare them so snorkeling is the way to see them if you can find them.

Can you say "compressed to about the thickness of a dollar bill" and "38 degree water"? The wall is cool, you look down into blackness at first which can be disconcerting. There's not a whole lot down there to keep it from being tempting for unqualified divers. I usually go there for one of three reasons, practice for an upcoming deep dive, train AOW students or find some decent vis when the visibility in the shallow side is absolutely horrible.

There's a TON of stuff in the shallow side, you nearly bump into something every few feet. Once you've explored the big stuff it's time to go hunting for the little things :wink: There is a GIGANTIC Christmas tree divers can put ornaments on too if you're interested :D

I e-mailed Pete that I wouldnt be able to attend Sunday. But if you guys need a heater, I have a 250,000 BTU salamander (with a thermostat) and a 5500 watt generator that you guys can borrow. The generator will run the salamander, coffee pots and lights (great for night dives) in the tent. 9 hours run time on one tank for the salamander and 9 hours run time on the generator. I also have two 6 foot long plastic tables for food, drinks etc.

Heat + hot foods + new friends = a Great day of diving.

I e-mailed Pete that I wouldnt be able to attend Sunday. But if you guys need a heater, I have a 250,000 BTU salamander (with a thermostat) and a 5500 watt generator that you guys can borrow. The generator will run the salamander, coffee pots and lights (great for night dives) in the tent. 9 hours run time on one tank for the salamander and 9 hours run time on the generator. I also have two 6 foot long plastic tables for food, drinks etc.

Heat + hot foods + new friends = a Great day of diving.

I appreciate the offer but how the heck would it get to the quarry? I have an HHR and Steve has a car so neither of us has room to haul something that size. Then we have to consider the "train the rabbit to use it" issue LOL! Our little heaters (9,000 BTU I believe) should work for the forecast temperatures but whatcha doin' New Year's Day :eyebrow:

Right now I only know of 3 of us, Steve, Spectrum and I, who will be there Sunday...anyone else?

I appreciate the offer but how the heck would it get to the quarry? I have an HHR and Steve has a car so neither of us has room to haul something that size. Then we have to consider the "train the rabbit to use it" issue LOL! Our little heaters (9,000 BTU I believe) should work for the forecast temperatures but whatcha doin' New Year's Day :eyebrow:

Right now I only know of 3 of us, Steve, Spectrum and I, who will be there Sunday...anyone else?

I have a 16 foot trailer that is set up for a weekend of Ice diving. Tent, heaters, generators, chain saw, logging saw, stoves, 50 gallon fresh water tank, tank holders, TV, DVD, speakers, ropes, tables, coffee pots, tent lighting. It is the only way to get the wife and kids to do winter diving with me. :D If ya change ya mind, drop me a line.

I have a 16 foot trailer that is set up for a weekend of Ice diving. Tent, heaters, generators, chain saw, logging saw, stoves, 50 gallon fresh water tank, tank holders, TV, DVD, speakers, ropes, tables, coffee pots, tent lighting. It is the only way to get the wife and kids to do winter diving with me. :D If ya change ya mind, drop me a line.

Wow, and to think of the comments I get about my GMC Savana and all that I pack into it. I am constantly amazed at the divers who manage to operate out of the trunk off a compact sedan. I'm a pack rat, guilty as charged but you have me beat by a country mile!

Pete

Wow, and to think of the comments I get about my GMC Savana and all that I pack into it. I am constantly amazed at the divers who manage to operate out of the trunk off a compact sedan. I'm a pack rat, guilty as charged but you have me beat by a country mile!

Pete

The generator I also use if I loose my electric at the house, the chain saws I use on my wooded five acres (almost done clearing it). The stove is just a two burner electric and one 2 burner coleman. The heater I use in my garage working on my cars in the winter time. The GP medium I got from the miliatary (freebie). The trailer I use for the boyscouts also when I take them backpacking/climbing and camping. Nothing really fancy, but it does work out pretty good for cold weather diving. The tent stays around 60 degrees with the t stat on the salamander. Good enough to get your body core temp back up for another dive. I went to Gilboa this past weekend with my son, and we dove wet and I brought my little Madza protege with 4 tanks, one pony and etc el. I was packed though. Once the cold weather arrives (below 30 degrees) then I like to pull the trailer and set up camp for the day.

Pete

So, maybe I should drive my MINI on Saturday just for the extreme aspect of it for you!

No, if I drive it, I can't bring the tent, so I'll drive my big car (a compact sedan).

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom