viton O-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be getting my PADI nitrox certification prior to an upcoming trip to Bonaire. I would like to add some Yoke tank valve o-rings to my kit. Are viton o-rings (Viton O-Ring, Brown, Qty of Five) compatible with both air and 32% nitrox?

Viton is O2 compatible but as I understand it the O-ring material is not an issue at 40% O2 and below. For high pressure a harder material (duro 90) is recommended. The other issue is size, most yokes use a -014 (1/2" ID x 1/16 thickness) but I have seen some older Chinese valves that use a -013 and many use the thicker -112 (1/2" ID x 3/32 thickness)

Yes, they are.

All o-rings and lubricants are compatible with Nitrox up to 40%.

While they will work fine, I recommend buna-N for that application as you may go through quite a few. I use McMaster-Carr which gets you 100 o-rings for just a bit more. Also make sure you have a tool to remove the bad o-ring. They can be pretty ugly and I have helped a few divers on Bonaire who had a spare but could not remove the bad one. A long finishing nail will do the job.

I will be getting my PADI nitrox certification prior to an upcoming trip to Bonaire. I would like to add some Yoke tank valve o-rings to my kit. Are viton o-rings (Viton O-Ring, Brown, Qty of Five) compatible with both air and 32% nitrox?

no need to have viton o-rings for anything less than 40% unless it's PP blended. Most large volume shops bank nitrox so it's a non-issue. Save the money and use standard o-rings. 90duro is your best choice as the lower durometers wear out faster, buy whatever is cheapest for rental tank use

Last edited:
You don't need anything special for the valves in Bonaire. Just pick up a few from your lds then if you have to replace on a tank just take the old one into your Bonaire dive shop and they should give you a replacement or two. This is what we do with Dive Friends Bonaire. Or better yet, get something like this...

Amazon.com : Trident Standard Save-A-Dive Viton O-Ring Kit For Nitrox Air Systems : Diving Valves : Sports & Outdoors

And this to keep a few of the relevant sizes with you at the dive sites...

Aluminum Tank w/pick & Split Ring

I bought one of the holders several trips ago and keep it clipped to my harness. I also remember seeing this holder with o-rings available to purchase at the DFB Port Bonaire shop.

Aluminum Tank w/pick & Split Ring

I bought one of the holders several trips ago and keep it clipped to my harness. I also remember seeing this holder with o-rings available to purchase at the DFB Port Bonaire shop.

Yes, this. This "tank" thing is just the ticket for Bonaire trips. You need not just the o-rings but also a pick to dig out the old o-ring. I would estimate that about 1 in 10 o-rings in tanks I have gotten in Bonaire had such leaky o-rings that I either replaced them or would have replaced them had I had a spare o-ring.

Re-stock o-rings from McMaster-Carr or other economical source.

If a shop fills your tanks the popular but dangerous way, by putting in a shot of pure oxygen and then adding air to make the blend...Your o-rings may see "pure oxygen service" even though the final blend is under 40%. So using Viton or other oxygen-safe O-rings is a good idea. Probably more cautious than you need to be, but "probably" and "oxygen explosion" aren't always compatible.(G)

Viton should also be more durable in the long run, so you'll need to change O-rings less often. And if you don't have them yet, Amazon and others sell inexpensive sets of brass dental picks for O-rings, that let you pull the old ones out without any chance of scratching the seats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom