Viz and Swell at the start of the monsoon season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblebubble, you can stay in Tao for less than 1000, easily. Do not book on the net, just show up. It is not busy and you can pick and choose.

Enjoy.

I finally made it to Koh Tao where good accomodation was easy to find and cheap. The island is really beautiful, I have to say. The weather has been/is great, too. My first dives were okish but I'm dissapointed with two things:

1. The visibility is below 5m. What's it like (weather and visibility) in Phuket at the moment?
2. I have to follow a divemaster around here. I don't want to sound cocky but I'd rather go at my own slow pace and look at the scenery in detail instead of following a pair of fins.

Is there a way around diving with a divemaster and getting to good spots at a reasonable price?

I finally made it to Koh Tao where good accomodation was easy to find and cheap. The island is really beautiful, I have to say. The weather has been/is great, too. My first dives were okish but I'm dissapointed with two things:

1. The visibility is below 5m. What's it like (weather and visibility) in Phuket at the moment?
2. I have to follow a divemaster around here. I don't want to sound cocky but I'd rather go at my own slow pace and look at the scenery in detail instead of following a pair of fins.

Is there a way around diving with a divemaster and getting to good spots at a reasonable price?
1. Viz today where I dived was about 15 meters. The water was quite flat for this time of year. No rain today, but high cumulous clouds in a bright blue sky.

2. Maybe. If you can get yourself to, for example, Nang Yuan island near Tao, with a dive buddy, you can rent tanks and do shore dives without at DM. There may be other places near Tao where shore diving is possible. If you want to get on a boat, you'll probably need a DM. Just hire one for the day!

Vis good out of Krabi too. Weather; sunny and dry the last few days and today. Got an overnight trip to Phi Phi tomorrow, anyone for night diving?:D

Diving without a DM. On our boat, the groups are small and never rushed. Sometimes buddies can go without, but it depends upon some criteria like experience, qualification, the right equipment and a good briefing and plan.

Back
Top Bottom