Volo Power - How big is regular size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shelski

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I have posted a message on the general board but seems sensible to ask you too. I'm a size UK6 boot. Different supplier websites give different size ranges for Mares fins. I currently have avanti quattros in small and they fit fine with boots and wetsuit. However, when I'm wearing my drysuit, because my drysuit boots are slightly bigger, the foot pocket is quite tight - wearable but a nightmare for my buddy to pull off after a dive (the strap has tons of room on it so that's not a problem). I was considering getting some Volo Power fins and was going to get the regular size. Will these be too big and cause me hassle when I'm using them with wetsuit boots? I don't want to move up a size if they are going to spoil my warm water dives if they are wobbling about. Also, what difference can I expect from the volos compared to the quattros? I suffer from the odd calf cramp. Are they lighter? Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Shelski,

Well you present a good question. It is nearly impossible for someone to "virtually" fit you over the internet. You say that your small quattros fit with both boots, just much tighter with the drysuit. This is normal as most drysuit boots are bigger. Most likely the size regular Volo Powers will fit with your drysuit, although nothing compares to taking both boots into a store and trying them on. The foot pockets are not too terribly different, so I will assume the size regular will be too large for your warm water activities.

The Volo Powers are a much easier fin to swim with. You will feel very little resistance while finning which leads to fewer cramps, less air consumption, and ultimately longer dives. They are definitely lighter in weight which makes travelling easier.

I suspect you will have to make a decision and perhaps have two different size fins for your different applications or stick with the smalls and let your buddy deal :). Maybe you can pass the quattro's onto someone else and get yourself a new pair of Volo Races (full foot) for warm water, and Volo Powers for your colder dives. At the end of the day, I suggest you take both boots in for a fitting. This will help you come to a conclusion more than anything.

Shelski, I can confirm what Zak has told you. The Volo-power is a very easy fin. I am personally prone to cramps in the calves and have never had a problem when normal finning whith my volo powers. They aren't the most powerfull fin out there (just my oppinion), but they are very comfortable and work well. I've never felt I needed more power than these could deliver while diving. The only time I've felt this is while training for my snorkeling exam in the pool (I'm doing my DM course). But That's an exceptional situation... And yes, they are very light!!!!

As for the sizing, as recommended... try them on if possible!

Hope this helps!:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom