Vortex revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To cover up a diving accident?

Insufficient motivation IMO. If it's an accident, I would think the most common reaction would be to flee the scene if you wanted to distance yourself from it. After all, in an accident, how culpable is someone going to be for the death of their buddy?

"We go separated" "I don't know what happened" "He just stopped responding" would all be simpler methods.

To go to the extreme of removing a body and all the equipment, moving it to a place where it won't be easily discovered, while hoping that no one sees you doing that, speaks to a higher motivation than simply covering for an accident.

However, the above premise is based on the luxury of rational thought. It's difficult to speak to the mindset someone may find themselves in during the heat of the moment, but I would hope that a genuine accident wouldn't elicit such a detailed cover up attempt.

This is just getting silly now. Either he's dead or he ain't. If he isn't he don't want to be found. If he is let him rest in peace. It's his family that cannot move on. All the time, money, and resources they are wasting is the real crime.

OTOH, it's human nature to want to know. Otherwise there wouldn't be (presumably successful) TV shows such as "Cold Case," nor, on a larger scale, would many inventions and discoveries be made. I'm not necessarily speaking to the repeated entreaties to get divers into the cave, but more to the general public's and the relatives' interest in knowing what happened. I think it's human nature to want to make sense of a puzzle.

I have no problem with that. But you don't try to entice others to risk their lives needlessly for one's own selfish needs. You in this instance get trained and do it yourself or let it go. It will consume you if you don't and make life for you, and everyone around that survives, miserable.

I hear what you're saying (which is what I was referencing in the first part of my third sentence, but I may not have been clear enough), and I'm not advocating for people to risk their lives (any more than one does just by living normally). Sorry if I implied that, because it wasn't meant.

Okay, what's another wild-@$$ed theory to add to the BS?

I am totally making this up!!!!

Ben arranged a bunch of money somewhere, but he's got the IRS on him.

He grabs a friend to help him stage his 'disappearance".

Friend decides he wants the money for himself. Turns off Ben's air (we are assuming he was sidemount, but suppose he was just on a single to do the staging?)

Nature takes its course. Murdering friend takes Ben's body and throws body parts out on the way to Mexico.

End of total BS speculation.

That actually happened to this girl who knows a guy that used to date a woman who was a third cousin of a guy who fed the fish of someone. So it could totally happen!

Okay, what's another wild-@$$ed theory to add to the BS?

I am totally making this up!!!!

Ben arranged a bunch of money somewhere, but he's got the IRS on him.

He grabs a friend to help him stage his 'disappearance".

Friend decides he wants the money for himself. Turns off Ben's air (we are assuming he was sidemount, but suppose he was just on a single to do the staging?)

Nature takes its course. Murdering friend takes Ben's body and throws body parts out on the way to Mexico.

End of total BS speculation.

Considering the nature of Vortex, or at least the part that I have explored (surface to gate) I don't see pulling his body out and stashing it as an especially difficult challenge. Even less so, considering (IIRC) that he was diving wet, and diving sidemount, making it much easier to remove bottles and not deal with a secondary inflation, and if the dive occurred late at night when there weren't many people around.

A better question would be what would motivate someone to do so?

Legal tort. If the staff had knowledge that he was diving the cave and did not make a reasonable effort to stop him, that could result in big dollars paid out to family. If he was found, deceased, by diving staff, before people started diving, or after (end of day) turning this into a "didn't happen" event would not be difficult considering the logistics and equipment available to them. Google the late owner and his history, maybe not too far fetched. My money is here and don't be surprised if the wheels start turning now. After about week 2 in this incident my theory went from hoax to cover up. Money is quite a motivator when you stand to lose a large amount.

[
That comment, along with this article and the accompanying comments kind of make you go
hmmmer.gif

Local authorities dragging their feet on release of Lowell Kelly info - T-Mac's Smack : Northwest Florida Daily News

Well.... It's on the paper now. Wonder what the rumors will be on this?

NORTHWEST FLORIDA DAILY NEWS OBITUARIES: Complete listing of Northwest Florida Daily News Obituaries powered by Legacy.com
Lowell Bernarr Kelly Obituary: View Lowell Kelly's Obituary by Northwest Florida Daily News

Obituary
Lowell Bernarr Kelly (1952 - 2012)

| Visit Guest Book

8a07909f-40fa-4b83-9566-2e3f8aca4928.jpg
Lowell was born in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., on Feb. 23, 1952. He died peacefully on Jan. 20, 2012, as a result of a devastating fall following a chili cook-off event at his business at Vortex Springs. Lowell has had family, close friends, old friends and new friends praying for him and supporting him and his family relentlessly.
He was preceded in death by his mother, Virginia Carol Earley Kelly (Polly); his grandmothers, Mattie May Kelly and Irma Earley; and his grandfathers, Coleman Kelly and Otis Monroe Earley.
He is survived by his father, Lila Bernarr Kelly; his brother, Brant E. Kelly; his sister, Elise Kelly McKenzie; his aunts, Carol Kelly and Imogene Kelly; and three loving, beautiful daughters, Amy Lauren Kelly, Ivey Monroe Kelly and Zoe Sky Kelly; as well as many beloved nieces and nephews.
Lowell graduated from Choctawhatchee High School in 1970 and then moved to Tallahassee, Fla., to attend Tallahassee Community College, where he earned an associate of arts degree.
He grew up in Destin, Fla., fishing and working at "Kelly Docks" as a deckhand when it truly was "The World's Luckiest Fishing Village."
He is well known for the best ever 70's party hosted on his family's party boat, "Early Bird," captained by his now deceased uncle, Capt. Carnera Lee Kelly. At sunset, 100-plus invited guests met at the Kelly Dock under the "Magnolia Tree" in full bloom and partied "into the light of the dark black night."
When Lowell was in his early '20s, and due to his great love of music, he tried his hand at the first concert hall in the area, "Boss Hardware." Dr. Hook (Cover of the Rolling Stones), Waylon Jennings and Louisiana Leroux (New Orleans Lady) all came to play. Unfortunately, due to poor timing of his dream, Lowell was forced to the Louisiana Oil Fields to earn money to repay his debt.
The next few years he worked in the oil fields out of Houma, Intercostal City, Morgan City and Venice, La. Living between Louisiana and Destin he obtained his Thousand Ton Ocean Operating License. His last voyage was aboard the ocean going vessel "Margret George" on Oct. 2, 1982, leaving from Sabine Pass Texas, destination Singapore! While Lowell was at sea he weathered what was said to be the worst storm in over 100 years off the coast of France and Spain, returning home almost a year to the day.
In the mid- to late '80s Lowell purchased property with Lloyd Bell and helped negotiate an important sale to Wal-Mart and what is now the Destin City Hall. They built "Two Trees Road" and Lowell developed "Indian Lake Apartments" in the '90s; Lowell started "Emerald Palm Trading Company," and provided the land where the "Palms of Destin" is now located. He was a visionary with a dream for the future for Vortex Springs.
Like his grandmother, Mattie, Lowell had a passion for writing beautiful poetry. He wrote about friends, family and experiences which had made an enormous impact throughout his years. These writings are the most treasured gifts that he has left behind.
Lowell was complicated, fun, imaginative, creative, loving and one-of-a- kind! He never backed down from a challenge. He thrived on the exchange of creative ideas and interesting stories. We miss him already!
The legacy of Lowell's spirit will continue to live on through his children.
Visitation will be held on Monday at Emerald Coast Funeral Home Chapel, 113 Racetrack Road N.E., Fort Walton Beach, Fla., from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Funeral services will be conducted on Tuesday, Jan. 24, at St. Simon's-on-the-Sound Episcopal Church, 28 Miracle Strip Pkwy. S.W., Fort Walton Beach, at 11 a.m. with the Rev. Mark Fitzhugh officiating. Pallbearers will be Brant Kelly, Edward Davis, George Hartman, Rocky Hard, Freddie Sanders and Michael LaBlanc. Burial will follow at Beal Memorial Cemetery, with flowers and greenery selected from his two grandmother's gardens for his casket.
Friends desiring to do so may make memorial contributions to Covenant Hospice, 5041 N. 12th Ave., Pensacola, FL 32504
The family guest register may be signed on line at www.Emeraldcoastfuneralhome.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom