Vortex revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That, or I will be at Ginnie for the Mega Dive at the end of this month. You and Jill are invited! I would love to do a dive with you!

Sure!!! We'll have a campfire and can really have some fun with the community discussing the whole thing. The Blaire Witch meets Ben.

Here is the latest twist. (Lowell Kelly is the owner of Vortex Spring.) From Ben's Vortex Facebook page:
[h=6]Lynn-Marie Carty
[/h][h=6]It is now time for the truth to be told and for people to speak up. Please contact me and tell us where Ben's remains were moved to.No tip is too small. There is a new reward and it is for $15,000.00. It is time to bring Ben home for a proper burial. Lowell Kelly is not to be feared any more.www.reunitepeople.com (727) 384-FIND (3463) The Time IS NOW. Help the McDaniel family bring their son Ben home to finally rest in peace.[/h]

Well I'll be damned...

Reactions: Jax
Wow; subscribed.

Ben McDaniel's family has long held the belief that someone, somewhere, had something to do with Ben's disappearance. Vortex staff have passed polygraph tests. But - in this twisting, turning missing person's case - I have come to believe that ANYTHING concerning the disappearance of Ben McDaniel is possible. Did he accidentally die in the cave? Did he purposefully pull a hoax and chose to disappear? Or, was there foul play involved? A case can be made for each theory...including this latest one that Ben died in the cave, and someone pulled his body out of the water and stashed it. Any cave divers care to comment on the specific actions required of such a scenario?

Last edited:
A case can be made for each theory...including this latest one that Ben died in the cave, and someone pulled his body out of the water and stashed it. Any cave divers care to comment on the specific actions required of such a scenario?

Considering the nature of Vortex, or at least the part that I have explored (surface to gate) I don't see pulling his body out and stashing it as an especially difficult challenge. Even less so, considering (IIRC) that he was diving wet, and diving sidemount, making it much easier to remove bottles and not deal with a secondary inflation, and if the dive occurred late at night when there weren't many people around.

A better question would be what would motivate someone to do so?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom