Vortoberfest IV 2008 - After Action Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you are not making fun of the waitress by describing her as "thong showing." This girl left her honeymoon early so that Sally's would have the staff to serve us.

Not my intention to make fun of her. I was kind of sad that she had that big ring on her finger.... I just thought it was interesting that I got there last and probably had my food third or fourth.... And the thong was memorable. :) I tipped her well too.

Guys, I'm sorry that it did take so long for some of you to be served.

I understand the frustration.

Keep in mind that Sally's is a very small, privately owned, grill with limited food preparation equipment.

Sallly's is not a fast food restaurant. Each order is prepared ala carte.

We tried as best we could to help Sally and her staff acommodate such a large number of people showing up at one time and ordering.

Is there room for improvement, yes. We realize that and we're working on it. But when you walk in, look at the grill and see how large, or small it is.

And, too, keep in mind that Sally has a regular clientelle that keeps her in business all year long.

We descend upon Sally's twice a year, some only once.

And "descend" is the word.SPRINGFEST !!!!!

Sally accomodated a crowd twice or more times greater than her normal Friday night showing - and did it well. We don't need to fix Sally's - we need to reevaluate our reason for being there and fix our own attitudes.

Speaking as someone who wasn't there at all, and is totally unfamiliar with the retaurant, please take this suggestion for exactly what you're paying for it.

First, would it be better (or possible) to break the diners into two or three groups, designed to arrive 10-15 minutes apart? That wouldn't severely cut into any "visiting time" but it would allow spreading the oders for the cooks/waitstaff out a bit, which may help diminish the "lag time."

Second, would it be possible for a buffet style? Maybe have a table set out with burgers, shrimp, or what other popular items were pre-ordered just prior to the time of arrival. Then have the waitstaff (not the guests) serve from the table rather than one-on-one orders from the kitchen. This would still allow them to control portion size, without long delays.

There was and is nothing wrong with my attitude. If there had been, I would have left the restaurant an hour before I did. Sally's is one of my favorite restaurants. Had I known it was going to take 2 hours to get my food, I would have went two hours earlier. I was starving. I usually fast for lunch before eating dinner at Sallys so that I can eat it all. None the less, I will eat there in the future and still love the place.

Last edited:
would it be possible for a buffet style? Maybe have a table set out with burgers, shrimp, or what other popular items were pre-ordered just prior to the time of arrival. Then have the waitstaff (not the guests) serve from the table rather than one-on-one orders from the kitchen. This would still allow them to control portion size, without long delays.

This sounds like a reasonable plan. We had already selected menu items and gave an estimate of how many would be attending. It is worth asking her about anyway.:)

Guys, I'm sorry that it did take so long for some of you to be served....

Hey, it was so much fun just hanging out and talking that I didn't even notice that my food wasn't there till people were standing up to leave. :)

I was just a little perplexed at the delay of service only because we had put our orders in a week ahead of time. But again, it was fun hanging out and enjoying everyone's company! A buffet would be a great idea, kind of like a seafood/chicken setup. It's all a learning process and regardless, we still had a good time!

Carolyn:shark2:

Shark Woman . . .

. . . we "didn't put our orders in", I simply gave Sally a number of diners and the foods they chose to eat. This was so that she could arrange the seating and have a sufficient quantity of the selected foods on hand.

There really isn't any way that she can prepare the foods in advance.

Suppose we didnt' show up until 8? Or suppose we showed up at 7?

There are some things under discussion that may help come Srpingfest.

the K

As someone that did not get to dive, I was dissappointed to see so few "dive reports". I was looking forward to living through those of you that did dive.... Nevermind, after all of the frozen drinks and Bahama Mamas......mmmmmmm, I doubt anyone remembered enough about the weekend to give a detailed report.:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom