Wakatobi vs Bangka? Murex vs Bastianos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
A

amgscuba

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, new to this board other than as a reader. Much appreciate all the great help here. Question 1: Wakatobi vs Bangka? Please discuss. RA just too hard for me to get to given where I need to be afterward. Question 2: If Bangka, then what's your choice: Bastianos or Murex? This will be next February. Not interested in muck diving. Reasonably experienced diver but not recently. Completed reAvtivate in Dec, and am working on AOW at the moment. Thank you.

If you can use a late reply, here goes....

I've been to the Wakatobi resort (10 odd years ago, I don't suspect that much has changed) and to Bastiano's Bangka last year. Wakatobi was good, but I think it is overpriced. You can get much better diving in Raja Ampat for the same price. (I know RA is not for you this trip, but I mention it jut as a comparison). But they do take very good care of you at the Wakatobi resort. The food is excellent.

I enjoyed the diving much more at Bastiano's Bangka. (I had also been to Bangka 12+ years ago, which I had not enjoyed much). But then I really really enjoy good muck diving. Bangka did have some good dive sites for great soft coral as well.

If muck diving is out for you, why not look at Manado or south Bali? Or even Maratua. Maratua is a bit difficult to get to (ie time consuming) so may not work out for you.

I was at Murex Bangka back in November and really enjoyed it. The diving had a mix of options, some were muck/coral gardens, but my favorites were pinnacles and current dives around some really cool underwater geography. When I was there they had newer rooms up on the hill that were wonderful. I know they were also planning to close down for a bit right around now to re-do their dining room, which was fine, but definitely rustic.

If you can use a late reply, here goes....

I've been to the Wakatobi resort (10 odd years ago, I don't suspect that much has changed) and to Bastiano's Bangka last year. Wakatobi was good, but I think it is overpriced. You can get much better diving in Raja Ampat for the same price. (I know RA is not for you this trip, but I mention it jut as a comparison). But they do take very good care of you at the Wakatobi resort. The food is excellent.

I enjoyed the diving much more at Bastiano's Bangka. (I had also been to Bangka 12+ years ago, which I had not enjoyed much). But then I really really enjoy good muck diving. Bangka did have some good dive sites for great soft coral as well.

If muck diving is out for you, why not look at Manado or south Bali? Or even Maratua. Maratua is a bit difficult to get to (ie time consuming) so may not work out for you.
Madacub and OctopusSneakers, Thank you for these thoughts/comments. Pretty set on Bangka and Bunaken. In Bunaken, probably Siladen Resort and Spa (possibly Oasis). In Bangka, two choices: Bastianos or Murex. Good feedback that Murex is rustic. Not really looking for rustic. But they are building new ocean front cottages, so maybe with those and a new dining room it would make it overall nicer? Is Bastianos Bangka less rustic? Thinking of only the Accommodations and Dive Service, which would you pick? Thanks!

Madacub and OctopusSneakers, Thank you for these thoughts/comments. Pretty set on Bangka and Bunaken. In Bunaken, probably Siladen Resort and Spa (possibly Oasis). In Bangka, two choices: Bastianos or Murex. Good feedback that Murex is rustic. Not really looking for rustic. But they are building new ocean front cottages, so maybe with those and a new dining room it would make it overall nicer? Is Bastianos Bangka less rustic? Thinking of only the Accommodations and Dive Service, which would you pick? Thanks!
If the dining room and ocean front cottages are the same quality as the cottages up on the hill that they build in the last few years they are really nice and I would not describe them as rustic other than not having wifi (available in the dining room), and during the daytime not having AC (fan keeps them plenty cool through the day and you have AC at night). I found their dive team incredibly knowledgeable, helpful, and responsive. Dive lockers were open and airy, they'll carry your gear on and off the boats (no dock so they wade out with it in bins). Looking at Bastianos website- looks like accomodations are similar (older rooms) or a little nicer at murex (newer rooms), but murex does not have a dock (you wade to the boats from the beach, up to your knees in water- but they're loading your gear so you have a camera and a water bottle) and murex does not have a pool.

I don't know anything about Murex. I would not call Bastianos Bangka 'rustic'. I thought the diving was really good, boat crew was good, I had an excellent guide, Elbart. The food was okay, nothing special. I don't remember much about the actual room, so it must have been fine :). There is a bit of climbing to be done in the resort, my room was in the top row. Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom