Walk of shame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzmutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know I'm inviting a flaming but I hope to share some experience with other newbies.

I recently got back from a dive vacation with my husband and son. I waited until I got home to download my dives onto my computer and look at them. I completely read and studied my dive computer manual when I got it but sometimes I still feel like I need the "cheat sheet" underwater, because I forget what some of the symbols mean. To make matters worse, if it does beep a warning I am unable to hear it most of the time with my 7mm hood. Sooo, like I was saying, I checked out my dives and was horrified to see that I had gotten two different violations for not enough surface interval, THEN went on to make a second deeper dive. (Yes, I know better!)

I broached the subject with my husband, who has been more laid back about reading up on diving procedures and techniques, although he does know his computer. He, to my absolute horror, sez "Yeah, my last dive ran into deco, but I didn't have enough air to stay down. I surfaced with about 6 minutes to go." HE KNEW IT AND NEVER MENTIONED IT UNTIL OUR VACATION WAS OVER!! I checked his computer, that's what happened alright. He had signal for me to look at his computer during our safety stop, I thought he was showing me his PSI, which was low. I showed him mine, which was really low too. Another error on my part was being low on air and **cough** assuming that he was doing a three minute safety stop like I was; when my 3 minutes were up I started to ascend. Big mistake, I know that now. Just because we always ascend at basically the same time I thought he would be ready and coming up. He needed me to stay down with him while he did deco, possibly air share if my gas lasted longer than his. Because I didn't stay down he just surfaced, he sez.

We have been used to mainly diving in a shallow area where it's almost impossible to get into trouble, the few boat dives we have been on have been with someone who stepped up like they were running the show and said we are going to this depth until our PSI gets to here then we surface and then we will spend this much time on surface interval. Everything done by the numbers.

Did we just forget everything we had been taught in class about the RDP, using it, planning your dive and diving your plan? Duh!:shakehead My husband and I have talked about my failure as his buddy to understand what he was trying to communicate, and of course, my surfacing without him.

Lots of stuff to think about.

I have been diving less than a year, I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and I'm willing to admit to them. The people who feel like they are perfect divers and have nothing better to do than tear newbies apart are hereby invite to visit someone else's thread otherwise I would appreciate some constructive feedback on improving my diving (and just in case someone suggests it---No, I will not take up golf instead:D )

Fuzz

I much prefer a watch or bottom timer and a depth guage that are monitored frequently. Of course preceded by proper planning of the dive before getting in the water using tables.

I think this is the better way to start diving, before moving to a computer.

Just went back and re-read your post. Possibly a slate to write on would have cleared up communications. Just a thought.

Hey no flames here. Glad everything panned out alright. My computer is on my Right wrist and I have a digital large display watch on my Left. I have learned to hold myself in trim and have both visually available. I also have started a ritual to double check my pressure and my depth about every 3 mins. Computers are great but sometimes they can push limits. My computer does vibrate if I am doing something questionable, but I try not to rely soley on that device. Also, since there was a question about communication, maybe do some practice before your next trip to really understand what your dive buddy is saying. Having a slate or wet notes could help too! Just a thought!

Don't beat yourself up about what happened. We all are still learning and now you know how to correct that the next time you dive :D ! Also setting up a good dive plan and gas management can make sure you both get back safely. If making multiple dives, see how things go the first time then make adjustments for the 2nd. Just never push yourself where you do not feel comfortable!

Happy diving!
Carolyn :sharks:

Fuzz, PM NWGratefulDiver for his gas management handout. That's the place to start, because having enough gas for the dive and the ascent is the MOST critical thing about a dive.

Second, if I may offer this, I think you need to start to take control of and responsibility for your own dive. That means listening to the dive briefing (or knowing the site) and making a plan for what your max depth is going to be, and how long you can stay there. Before you get in the water, you should be able to describe what we call "exposure", which means the product of depth and time, which determines your nitrogen loading, and also how much gas you will need. Even if you are diving a computer, most computers will allow you a simulation mode, where you can plug in your anticipated depth, and the computer will tell you how long you can expect to stay there without incurring a decompression obligation.

Then, develop the habit of checking your gauges every five minutes while you are underwater. That will keep you on top of your gas consumption, and also ensure you have a mental picture of how deep you have gone, and how long you have been there.

It's good that you recognize that what you are doing is potentially dangerous. That'll give you the opportunity to develop a whole different way of thinking about the dives you do, so that you don't end UP underwater with a deco obligation and low on gas.

Fuzz, I will say thanks for sharing. It looks like you are reflecting on what went wrong and how to change it next time.

I am assuming both you and your husband are ok so use this as a learning experience.

I was in a class a few weeks ago there where 3 students and an instructor and DM. I was buddies with the DM. We went on a short/shallow dive about 1/2 way through the other two students went to the surface. No warnings etc...the instructor followed them to see what was going on. Since I don't like to surface, I would rather take care of problems underwater I just comunicated with my buddy to stop and wait we just watch. They descended and we continued the dive. At the end come to find out they were lost.
Anyway to make a long story longer. I don't just follow anymore. If one of them would have needed assistance etc...I would have helped.

you will hear it lots on the boards, and it was said b4 me. PLAN your dive and DIVE your plan. Not sure what computers ya'll use but if you can set it to a more conservitive profile that couldn't hurt either. I am new to diving as well, so I am by no means an expert and not bashing in any way. Take care and work on communication above water as much as possible with the hubby. Me and the better half are always using some kind of hand signals around the house (some nice some not so nice :D ) and try to incorporate it with the kids as well for fun. Be safe and have fun

What kind of computers? If it makes you feel better, most recreational computers are very conservative so I doubt either of you were ever in any real danger...

NOT that I'm recommending you use this line of thought when you're under water or out on a trip... If your computer is what you dive by, then you should learn to use it's planning modes as well as practice your gas management becuase it's violating the rules you outline for yourself before your dives (whether it be the navy tables, the PADI/SSI/Naui/whoever elses tables, or whichever particular computer you're using) and that's something you should NEVER do. Set up those guidelines for yourself and stick to them regardless of what happens.

... and never leave your buddy. You should've given him the thumbs up sign and he should've OK'd it before you went to the surface. :wink:

You don't learn by doing everything perfectly. At least you realized you've made mistakes and are working on correcting them, puts you ahead of about 95% of the other divers out there.

Great post Fuzzmutton! Look on the bright side, you're both alive and much wiser.

I think it's brave and noble that you are willing to admit this. I think these are valuable lessons for you and other divers. And you are not alone- I've made my share of mistakes and I'm sure that lots of other divers have as well.

I think Richard Pyle is credited for the phrase "complacency kills.' Divers at all levels have to be vigilant and prepared because the water is unforgiving.

As a complete newbie, let me say thank you for sharing. Other than that, lot's of good advice has already been posted. I've working my way through Bob's handout and it's an excellent piece that will give you a good start on gas management.

Henrik

Fuzzmutton, where were ya'll diving(water temps is what I'm after ie not cold water) & what was your max depth & actual BT......I've got a hunch you won't be in too bad a shape, according to dive tables & surface intervals, that is.....Just guessing here, though......Apparantly, you had no hits of DCS ...To me, for now anyway, that's the main thing......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom