Want to feel inadequate on SCUBA gear? Watch this ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is an amazing movie, but it is, after all, only a movie, not a documentation of an actual occurrence.

seacreatures:
I don't feel any inadequacies at all, it is a totally different deal, and I would rather stay shallower and a lot longer! Just the same way I choose to fly in a plane and not jump out of it:wink: Free Diving is for people who like it as SCUBA is for a different activity where there is no finish line. It takes nothing from either activity.
For me freediving is for fun, and the film captures some of the real elements of that fun, in an amplified fashion. Isn't that what art is all about? Scuba is for work, and nobody says that work can not be fun too.

Last edited:
The back weight disappears when he's on the bottom.

A nice hoax but still a hoax.

I don't think they were intending to create this film and pass it of as a hoax. It seems that they were trying to put together a very cool and unique video, which they did.

I think it's amazing.

It's a wonderful piece of cinema art, uniquely expressive of a feeling that I know well, it captures it almost perfectly.

I wouldn't call it a hoax either. It's theatrical, yes, and it was admittedly filmed with multiple takes, but the guy did make the dive and he did do it on a lungful of air. My guess is that he did this dive many times, but he did only one theatrical aspect of the dive with each take. So one dive he comes out and poses at the edge of the hole and then swan dives in. The next dive he does a theatrical free fall and so on. In the end it all gets spliced together looking like one dive. The thing is the guy's still diving deeper on a lungful of air than most divers ever will with tanks and he makes it look easy.

I wouldn't call it a hoax either. It's theatrical, yes, and it was admittedly filmed with multiple takes, but the guy did make the dive and he did do it on a lungful of air. My guess is that he did this dive many times, but he did only one theatrical aspect of the dive with each take. So one dive he comes out and poses at the edge of the hole and then swan dives in. The next dive he does a theatrical free fall and so on. In the end it all gets spliced together looking like one dive. The thing is the guy's still diving deeper on a lungful of air than most divers ever will with tanks and he makes it look easy.
Ok ok, hoax was the wrong word. How deep did he dive?
"I never pretended to reach the bottom. It's impossible and no one will ever do it," Guillaume said via email

From the "official" description of the video on YouTube:

This video is a FICTION and an ARTISTIC PROJECT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom