Want to feel inadequate on SCUBA gear? Watch this ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok ok, hoax was the wrong word. How deep did he dive?

Just judging by the perspective in the film I'd say about 50m, maybe a little more. Nothing spectacular by competitive freediving standards, but pretty awesome all the same to most of us who will never go beyond 60' without tanks.

Of course if you click on one of the links at the end you can also watch his 109m, (357'), record setting dive. He does that with a monofin and virtually nothing else, not even a mask.

Not anything that I would want to try, but still pretty amazing regardless of the number of shots needed to complete the film. I always tell my kids the world would be such a boring place if we all liked the same things so kudos to these adventurers and I will continue to feel privileged and content with a tank on my back...

I posted this in the freediving forum a while ago. It is a GREAT video even if you don't freedive. Great angles, great choice of music, etc.

I also posted in my original thread that Nery did acknowledge it was an artistic project, not a real single breath hold dive. His girlfriend (or wife) did some or all of the filming. So it's not a hoax, it was not made with any intention of fooling anyone.

Appreciate it for what it is....a great piece of filmmaking!

The filming even though on multiple days and multiple takes was also done via breath hold freediving. All in all a very cool video. Nery is the real deal in terms of ability and could do this dive as projected by the video, it just took mulitple days to get the right angles and shots for the video aspect

I saw this video about six months ago.
I cannot recall the forum and website but I remember it was not on here.
the makers did say it was done over a number of dives,
and they made it to promote Freediving.

Don't think they ever made out to be one dive, seems everyone else that got a hold of the link did.

Great movie there is no doubting that.

I'll have what he's having.

I have been to many movies in my lifetime. I realize they are not all "true" (sad but true! lol) But that doesn't mean I can't sit back and enjoy the ride.

It was beautifully choreographed (or how ever you spell that!)

It's an amazing film, and made me hold my breath most of the way through it. He's truly gifted, if not part fish himself.

Back
Top Bottom