Warped Dive World Evolution - BP/W Subgroup Mindset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H-minnow...
......So you don't thnk this is a little "out of context" ?

No matter, anyone who read through the last go round already knows you have an agenda on this. Additionally, I think we should have a poll on whether most of the divers here see you as annoyingly pedantic, or overly "retentive"....I'm having a hard time believing this is even about wings or bc's anymore :)

Dan; it is not surprising to me that you begin your first post in this thread by calling me names (at least 5 times), insulting me (as well as other Vest users) and denigrating anyone who does not agree that you speak for "the one way" and insinuating that anyone who questions your sloppy, unsupported and ignorant typing is evil! :shakehead:

I'm having a hard time believing this is even about wings or bc's anymore :)

The VAST MAJORITY of posters so far have been able to see that this thread is mostly about why they went the BP/W route (even the math challenged one). It would not be an engaging thread if that was the only thing this thread was about. :eyebrow:

Last edited:
All it took me was looking at a BP/W side by side with a jacket BCD. The shortcomings of the latter were painfully obvious.

I bought my BP/W untried and unseen after doing hours and hours of research on the topic. It was a gamble for me because there are very very few divers here in CT who use a BP/W and, at the time, I didn't know any of them so I couldn't borrow one to try. Nevertheless I still bought one based on the glowing reviews of them that I had read and the concept of streamlining, non-clutter, additional ballast and rock-solid tank placement appealed to me.

Could you show us any pictures of you diving that first BP/W rig?

it is clear that Halemano has an agenda.

ya think?

he wants to promote what he uses, and what he sees most often. No biggie ... in the big picture, he's right that it's what most divers around the world are wearing. So in that respect he's promoting a perspective that the majority of divers can relate to. So I guess it's better than some of the other agendas I've seen on ScubaBoard over the years.

For years I have openly admitted my main agenda on SB; my dislike of sloppy, unsupported and ignorant typing!

I also point out when English comprehension and composition skills are not great, even among otherwise intelligent seeming folk who's native language is English. :shakehead:

Please show quotes that show that I "want to promote what I use." :confused:

I contend that I have mostly asked questions about and challenged sloppy, unsupported and ignorant typing with regards to much of the "advise" on ScubaBoard. :idk:

halemanō;5740622:
Could you show us any pictures of you diving that first BP/W rig?

I'm not the person to whom the question was addressed, but here's a picture of me taken on my first ever dive trip after certification in 2006. Probably Logged Dive #15 or so in my "first BP/W" rig in 2006...

GoodViz2.jpg

Here I am on Dive #90 or so, in the same "first BP/W" rig...

RJP3.JPG

Here I am in the same "First BP/W" rig (here with a doubles wing) entering the water on Dive #250 or so in Truk Lagoon...

Truk.jpg

Here I am in the same "First BP/W" rig waiting to untie the Gypsy Blood from the Lilian in 150fsw on a cold November day in Jersey...

Gypsy_Blood.jpg

And here I am recently in the same "first BP/W" rig (back to singles wing) on dive 400 or so this past October...(I'm the short guy... on the right.)

Whale_Shark12.jpg

Right after certification I bought a Seaquest Balance at the shop where I did OW. I thought the Balance was perfectly fine... until I had a chance to try a BP/W while doing my PPB class with a different shop a few weeks later. The Balance went right on the "Gear/Equipment Classifieds" board on SB that night.

In fact, I love my "First BP/W" rig (on right below) so much that I've been known to sleep with it...

Truck2.jpg

:cool2:

halemanō;5740643:
For years I have openly admitted my main agenda on SB; my dislike of sloppy, unsupported and ignorant typing!

I also point out when English comprehension and composition skills are not great, even among otherwise intelligent seeming folk who's native language is English. :shakehead:

Please show quotes that show that I "want to promote what I use." :confused:

I contend that I have mostly asked questions about and challenged sloppy, unsupported and ignorant typing with regards to much of the "advise" on ScubaBoard. :idk:

I think Dan Volker had it right ...

I think we should have a poll on whether most of the divers here see you as annoyingly pedantic, or overly "retentive"....

You're beginning to remind me of an old English teacher I had in junior high school.

No ... you're not just "asking questions" ... you're deliberately choosing phrases meant to incite and demean people. It's an old, worn-out tactic ... and you're not very good at it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

halemanō;5740597:
Sas; other than fanning flames with regards to some members sloppy, unsupported and ignorant typing regarding the "streamlining" myth, please quote me where I have expressed an opinion about BP/W's :coffee:

edit; I have made 21 dives with a Draeger Dolphin, 14 of them solo, including more than straight swim through penetration of The Duane. :idk:

Yes that is one opinion you have about BP/Ws that is wrong. Another is when you tried to argue a jacket is better for the lava tubes because of where the wing sits :rofl3: probably more but I can't be bothered looking.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Can anyone please post a 3 picture group of (in some reasonable angle to understand the differences) or a link to if there is a good posting already:

1. A "Standard BC" being referenced (though I am sure of what this is)
2. The apparent "Hy-brid" of the Back Flotation BC
3. A BP/Wing

In particular, I'm more interested in the differences between #2 & #3.

I promise not to flame anyone for what they show.

Sorry, I'm a visual type

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This discussion has been moved out of basic scuba and into the Buoyancy Compensator forum since the discussion has moved well beyond a basic nature.

Please stay on topic, keep it civil, and let's avoid the personal comments about individual members.​

Can anyone please post a 3 picture group of (in some reasonable angle to understand the differences) or a link to if there is a good posting already:

1. A "Standard BC" being referenced (though I am sure of what this is)
2. The apparent "Hy-brid" of the Back Flotation BC
3. A BP/Wing

In particular, I'm more interested in the differences between #2 & #3.

I promise not to flame anyone for what they show.

Sorry, I'm a visual type

BP/W:

10-eclipse30_MCsystem.jpg

Not sure what some people mean by "hybrid" so could either mean...

Back Inflate BCD (Seaquest Balance here) where the wing is in the back, no inflation on sides.

balance.jpg

Or something like the Diverite Transpac, which has many of the features of a BCD, but still utilizes an add-on wing for the actual bouyancy

T3002-%20Black_FNL.jpg

diveritewing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom